• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

0x80040706:Reference Obj. not set

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Somehow Windows Installer got messed up, along with Install Shield and now I can't install anything from Backup Software, to America's Army...although I haven't tried small apps. like CCleaner or Spybot (which I don't care about, I already have installed).

I get Error 0x80040706, this is a real pain cause I was about to install HDD backup software...figures :rolleyes: :santa:

I tried "updating" InstallShield according to Installsheild's site instructions for that error, no good.

And to top this all off, Windows Update, via IE, will not work, it gets stuff on the 'Finding Updates' green loading bar thingy.

Running: WinXP, SP2

Attachments

• ERROR.bmp
    132.1 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Check to make sure the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" Service is set to Automatic... the "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC) Service as well should be set to Automatic, and both Services started. Also the InstallShield Engine requires the following three files...

Stdole32.tlb ...located in the %systemroot%\system32 directory
Stdole2.tlb ....located in the %systemroot%\system32 directory
Stdole.tlb ......located in the %systemroot%\system directory

If one or more of the above files is missing, you'll need to expand (extract) the appropriate file(s) from the XP CD. One or more of the files may also be corrupt. Open the System Configuration Utility (Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK) | "General" tab | "Expand File" button | Fill out the fields in the "Installation Source" dialog that opens to extract the necessary files.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch redduc, you sure seem to know your stuff :D

I'll try that out and report back.

Nope, the files are there and those services were set on automatic already.

One or more of those three files I listed may be corrupt. Try extracting a fresh copy of each from your XP CD like I described above, and place them in their corresponding directories.

redduc900 said:
One or more of those three files I listed may be corrupt. Try extracting a fresh copy of each from your XP CD like I described above, and place them in their corresponding directories.

I think I got it to work, I just searched for the file names and they showed up in the CD-ROM under the I386 folder, and Inputed those folder/file paths. Is anything special supposed to happen after I click Expand File? Like a confirmation?

EDIT: didn't seem to replace them, the file creation dates and modification dates are the same (2003...I installed this in 2005 though ???)

Last edited:
Well, give this a try... boot to the Recovery Console and type the following commands (hitting ENTER after each, and with the XP CD still in the drive):

expand E:\i386\stdole32.tl_ C:\Windows\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole2.tl_ C:\Windows\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole.tl_ C:\Windows\system

... replace E with whatever your CDROM drive letter is, and when asked to overwrite, hit the Y key.

redduc900 said:
Well, give this a try... boot to the Recovery Console and type the following commands (hitting ENTER after each, and with the XP CD still in the drive):

expand E:\i386\stdole32.tl_ C:\Windows\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole2.tl_ C:\Windows\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole.tl_ C:\Windows\system

... replace E with whatever your CDROM drive letter is, and when asked to overwrite, hit the Y key.

I inputted the commands exactly as you have it, E was my CD-ROM so I left that, and I replaced C with D (my windows partition). It didn't work, gave me stuff like file doesn' exist, or syntax is incorrect.

I DID find backups of those files though, on my C drive. C Drive is a 3 month old Windows partition that I had used for backup, since I messed up WIndows. Anyway, those files on C drive should be good still, since they haven't been touched in a good while, or even booted to. I tried replacing the files, I think all worked exepct for stdole2. Stdole2 said it was being used by a program, I'm not sure which or if it would be safe to stop that program.

Bump, I REALLY need to fix this, otherwise I'm gonna reformat, and I really don't want to reformat.

Try shutting down all non critical processes that are running in the background, including your virus scanner, and try installing the programs again. You may also want to try installing from Safe Mode and/or load a Diagnostic or Selective Startup from the "General" tab of the MS Configuraton Utility (Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK).
I inputted the commands exactly as you have it, E was my CD-ROM so I left that, and I replaced C with D (my windows partition). It didn't work, gave me stuff like file doesn' exist, or syntax is incorrect.
Make sure you leave a space between the underscore (_) and the C, or the % sign, otherwise the syntax is correct for the Expand command. You could also try...

expand E:\i386\stdole32.tl_ %systemroot%\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole2.tl_ %systemroot%\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole.tl_ %systemroot%\system

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
Try shutting down all non critical processes that are running in the background, including your virus scanner, and try installing the programs again. You may also want to try installing from Safe Mode and/or load a Diagnostic or Selective Startup from the "General" tab of the MS Configuraton Utility (Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK).

Make sure you leave a space between the underscore (_) and the C, or the % sign, otherwise the syntax is correct for the Expand command. You could also try...

expand E:\i386\stdole32.tl_ %systemroot%\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole2.tl_ %systemroot%\system32
expand E:\i386\stdole.tl_ %systemroot%\system

Will do, I'm gonna try that out right now.

For the Recovery Console Commands:
"Could not find file or destination directory" (or somehting very similar to that)

For Safe Mode:
Gives me a new error: "1607 Unable to install Installshield Scripting Runtime"

Back