• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any way to save Win Updates already in PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Had a look around the stickies and done a search, but this doesn't seem to have been addressed...

Having downloaded over 80Mb of Windows updates while sorting some PC's out for mates... got me to thinking...

There must be a way to locate the downloaded files on the harddrive, and save these for later use... surely (or am I being too sensible?)

Would seem to be a heck-of-a-lot less work than recording all the numbers of the ones regularly needed and getting them, etc.

I even tried to weedle out of Microsoft when they would be releasing another CD containing them all, but they wouldn't be drawn on it at all... not even on one for 98/ME/2k

Any ideas? or am I being too hopeful.

If I am, maybe someone (and no I'm not volunteering, but will do it in time if no-one else has the time) needs to assemble a list, under Operting System headings, of links to the ones needed , even broken down into (for XP for instance) Pre SP1, Pre SP2, Post SP2, etc.

I suspect it might very quickly become a popular sticky if it doesn't already exist.

I prefer Autopatcher myself.
As far as I know, it is not possible as Windows caches the files and later deletes them. However, Microsoft almost always provides raw installation files as well for purposes similar to your own, which is why Autopatcher and RyanVM's update pack are able to work.

futura2001 said:
I prefer Autopatcher myself.
As far as I know, it is not possible as Windows caches the files and later deletes them. However, Microsoft almost always provides raw installation files as well for purposes similar to your own, which is why Autopatcher and RyanVM's update pack are able to work.

WOW... that looks cool.

Did some quick reading... So all I need to do is d/l the autopatcher 'full' file (or even the 'lite' one) and use that again and again on various PC's, and I gather it doesn't really matter at what state the PC is in terms of updates installed or not installed... it sorts out what is required.

If that's the case... that's pretty cool.

Thanks Futura2001

Thanks Chevelle for your reply also... Autoupdater looks more suited to what I need assuming I can use the one d/l on any PC (not just clean installs). I will probably do up a slipstreamed version tho of each XP CD I have for future use.

Great work guys... Thanks

Yeah, no problem.
The only irk I have with Autopatcher is that every month or so, I have to delete the old version and download a new 300mb+ file. Not much of an issue since it takes maybe half an hour to download, but it would be more convenient if I could just update Autopatcher, but you can't have everything.
If you are going to be doing an XP slipstream, the Autopatcher team also made a very useful companion utility named Autostreamer.

That is awesome... You guys have really helped.

Thanks

Bruce

Back