• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winamp Alternative

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crofty83

I've been using Winamp along with Wincue for years now but with time comes change.

What other free applications can anyone recommend that are as good as or better than winamp?

I think before this answer can be answered to satisfaction some clarification is necessary.

Firstoff, what operating system are you using?

Secondly, are you looking for an audio player, all-purpose media player, or a modified media player (not necessarily one that can do or play anything, just do certain things well).

and Thirdly, What are you looking for in an audio or media player? More or less everything that was in Winamp? More or less? Do you like strong visuals or a more plain exterior and does it matter?

Until you answer that question crofty I can't give you the optimum answer for what you're looking for, just a long list of "possibles", which wouldn't help you much at all. Once you make a decision on those fronts then I'll be able to answer your question with some amount of satisfaction.

If you are just looking for a music player with the ability for customization and you use windows, check out Foobar2000

Can also check out the forums HERE to get some info on customizing and get questions answered.

I think threeme2189 is right...quintessential player is as good if not better then winamp. Has all of the same features and skins are plentiful.

NaNoBLaZe01 said:
i second foobar2000.

Well Foobar is only an audio player and though good at what its meant for if he's looking for something like Winamp, which is an audio/video player, then Foobar won't fit the whole bill.

Quite frankly it once again comes down to what does he want exactly? There are plenty of good, all-in-one media players, like: videolan, zoom player, bsplayer, core media player, mplayer (for linux), even jet audio to a more limited extent; and thats just scratching the surface. Thats part of why, at least in my opinion its hard to give a definite answer. How can you. Media players are so numerous and there are so many good ones, so many criteria to go against and features! Well thats a whole 'nother story.

I think the question comes down to one essential issue. Each media player is different and unique. Winamp has features no other media player has, just by the fact that its created and sponsored by a prime media provider, Aol/Time Warner. Its a player that has more instant access to online media then perhaps any other. On the flip side there are other media players that are more functional and can do more. Some sound better. Some look better. Some are more logically set up. Many have all those characteristics and more. Its a question of taste and preference and in that sense this question is impossible to answer on its most basic levels.

Last edited:
I'm still a huge fan of Windows Media Player myself. I've never run into problems with content, rights management, or libraries. It's all organized, easily laid out, and clean.

GerrFel said:
I'm still a huge fan of Windows Media Player myself. I've never run into problems with content, rights management, or libraries. It's all organized, easily laid out, and clean.

lol you must only have about 4 songs...

i have 24GB of music at the moment... (all legal i promise)

i have to use itunes thanks to my ipod... i hate itunes the hwole way it works is wrong, its like millions of short cuts.

i used to have winamp with an ipod plug in but it just made the ipod get REALLY hot.

try music match maybe? www.musicmatch.com

gorilly said:
i used to have winamp with an ipod plug in but it just made the ipod get REALLY hot.

I use winamp with the ipod plugin, how in the world would software on your PC cause your ipod to get really hot? :eh?:

Back