• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To those upset with the Newegg shipping policies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TankGuys

Tankguys head hitman
I have read a lot of people complaining about the new shipping policy from Newegg. Specifically, the fact that they now require a direct signature, and that you can't call UPS/FedEx to re-route your packages.

I too found this odd, but I now understand. Last night, I got word we were burned for around $5000 in fraud, which would not have happened if we followed those guidelines. That puts us at a loss of almost $8000 in fraud in the last 5 months alone. This is a *huge* loss for us, and I'm not particularly happy about it. Consider that we only have a "profit" of around ~$6 per order... and you see the problem.

Unfortunately for us all, this means we'll be implementing the same policies as Newegg now. All packages shipped will require a DIRECT signature from FedEx, and we will not allow packages to be re-routed without our permission.

Online businesses are forced to use these very annoying policies just to keep from going out of business. Thus, please understand why we have to do this, and please understand that we and Newegg are not just doing this to make life difficult for our customers! I would expect to see a lot of vendors (at least those selling high risk/high price items) to follow suit soon :(

Wow that is horrible. I just hope that insurance can cover it. These new policies don't bother me at all, I would rather sign for a $300 dollar video card than just have it left on my doorstep. This protects the buyer as well.

I am glad you posted this. I am NOT glad a good vendor who is one of us getting pinched. You look out for us and keep up posted on many good tid bits. Thank you!

Any vendor who takes time to explain the actions that will be taken is a good vendor. I know what to expect if I need your services.

I myself perfer to have sign only. I seen boxes left on doorsteps and not make it to the purchaser. You are taking a wise step in the right direction to protect yourself and your clients. :thup:

A good vendor will keep the phones open and ready to field a call. Even if it is to give a minor update to a samll order.

BTW tank, If you stock the Venice 754, I might purchase from you if it is there in the coming months. You have shown that you are one of us for the most part and are in the trenches. Not just for showing. You actually like compters, and may be feeding the same addiction as the rest of us.

Some of your prices I do not agree with, but you have a bookmark here!

Enablingwolf said:
Some of your prices I do not agree with, but you have a bookmark here!

Yea, our prices on some items are high, but that's because our costs are high. There isn't a thing on our website where we "make" more than $10 on right now. Newegg and such have better volume and thus get lower costs, plus the undercut thier prices to bring people in and sell stuff at a loss, but make up for it selling other stuff at really high prices.

As for the fraud, yea it's a huge letdown. It's very frustrating, with the money, time, and effort we put into this, only to have one crook do so much damage :(

The worst part is, now that we have to put in new policies to combat this, legitimate customers are turned away. I can tell you one thing: This business is NOT a good one to get into if you're wanting to make money :D

Hmm, UPS still just drops stuff off at my house, rings the door bell, and runs. I haven't signed for anything in ages from stuff I've gotten from newegg.

It makes sense and I have no problem signing for stuff, but I've wondered why I never have to sign for stuff. Seems stupid if not everyone at UPS enforces it.. Like just yesterday, the doorbell rang and I went to answer it- couldn't have taken more than a minute to get there- and there was a UPS package that I had ordered from newegg on my door and the UPS truck was driving off.

TankGuys said:
... only to have one crook do so much damage :(...

How did it happen? Thats a huge ammount to be burned.. especially all at once.. Thats terrible that you caught a bad hand..

I hope it doesn't turn you away from keeping up the great service to this community :- ]

BTW: Plan on getting any OSA246BLBOX Opterons any time soon? :- ]

This sucks! They never let me sign for my own things because I am a minor. And because I can't reroute the package to my parents office or some other adults house how am I ever going to get my stuff?

Kalivos said:
What's direct signature, and when did they start this?

Direct signature means that who ever placed the order has to sign for it. It's a pain for customers... since if you aren't home, you can't sign, so it goes and waits at the FedEx hub.

We ship using Home delivery though, which has later hours and Saturday's (sometimes) to try and alleviate this somewhat.

Kalivos said:
Is it only with FedEx orders, or with both FedEx and UPS?

FedEx is the only company we use... we picked them over UPS due to overwhelming customer demand. So, I'm not really sure about UPS, but I'd bet the do a simliar thing.

I have filed a signature waiver at the FedEX depot and they (finally) just leave the packages on my sheltered and secure porch. I hope whatever you are referring to does not upset this balance. I've got Newegg packages arriving tomorrow and Friday, but come to think of it, they are UPS anyway. UPS always leaves them.

larva said:
I have filed a signature waiver at the FedEX depot and they (finally) just leave the packages on my sheltered and secure porch. I hope whatever you are referring to does not upset this balance. I've got Newegg packages arriving tomorrow and Friday, but come to think of it, they are UPS anyway. UPS always leaves them.

It would upset this, unfortunately.

Signed waivers will allow FedEx to drop pacakges that are set for "Indirect signature". In fact, packages shipped with this option can be signed by ANYONE... your kid, your neighbor, your dog... anyone the FedEx driver can find.

Direct Signature required means you physically and personally have to sign for it. No waivers, no substitute signature... you're the one.

This is a real pain for people, which is why we didn't want to do it. However, it's the only way Visa/Mastecard/American Express will cut us any slack at all in cases of fraud. It's absolutely obnoxious how strict they are.

Oh well. I assume I can stipulate to have my packages held at the FedEX depot, though. This will save those days lost to my packages riding around on a truck all day only be returned to the center because the "expected delivery date" hasn't been reached yet, anyway. I'd rather get it the first day it's in town even if I have to go pick it up myself.

The UPS deliveries that you do not have to sign for are 'Driver Release' deliveries. This is to say that the shipper did not request an authorized signature for the delivery and the liability of the package now falls upon the driver. If the package is 'stolen,' an inquiry if formed by our security department. Judging by whether the shipment was insured by the consignee or not will ultimately decide if you will receive a refund from UPS. If it is not insured, then the consignee is responsible. Stolen DR's come out of the UPS driver's ***. UPS drivers only DR in safe neighborhoods and they are supposed to DR in covered areas, i.e. under floor mats, hidden in bushes, etc. In neighborhoods that they have problems, they complete standard, signature deliveries... even if its just ground. Drivers get fired for I think 3 stolen packages in a certain time frame... can't quite remember. Nevertheless, every driver I have ridden with is very knowledgable about their routes and know when they are to be careful or not... that and they know if some dickbag is following them to scoop up their DR's. Especially around the holidays.

FedEx's signature policy I'm sure is very similar. I know UPS makes 3 delivery attempts before it is retained at the UPS customer counter. Not sure ab FedEx.

Bottom line: Newegg will most likely insure the ground shipments if they're smart. If they don't, then they're probably betting on the cost of a replacement is lesser than insuring 'x' many packages.

tresmonos said:
The UPS deliveries that you do not have to sign for are 'Driver Release' deliveries. This is to say that the shipper did not request an authorized signature for the delivery and the liability of the package now falls upon the driver. If the package is 'stolen,' an inquiry if formed by our security department. Judging by whether the shipment was insured by the consignee or not will ultimately decide if you will receive a refund from UPS. If it is not insured, then the consignee is responsible. Stolen DR's come out of the UPS driver's ***. UPS drivers only DR in safe neighborhoods and they are supposed to DR in covered areas, i.e. under floor mats, hidden in bushes, etc. In neighborhoods that they have problems, they complete standard, signature deliveries... even if its just ground. Drivers get fired for I think 3 stolen packages in a certain time frame... can't quite remember. Nevertheless, every driver I have ridden with is very knowledgable about their routes and know when they are to be careful or not... that and they know if some dickbag is following them to scoop up their DR's. Especially around the holidays.

FedEx's signature policy I'm sure is very similar. I know UPS makes 3 delivery attempts before it is retained at the UPS customer counter. Not sure ab FedEx.

Bottom line: Newegg will most likely insure the ground shipments if they're smart. If they don't, then they're probably betting on the cost of a replacement is lesser than insuring 'x' many packages.

From a UPS standpoint, how does insurance on the package work?

For example, let's say I ship the package to someone, and it is delivered. Then, the customer claims it was stolen or whatever. Can I actually file an insurance claim and have a chance at getting anything back, or does responsibility end with the "Package delivered?"

Just curious how that works.

I'm definitely with Ben on this one and will be implementing "Signature Confirmation" on all parts I ship also (USPS here).

Ben, sad to hear about this and I'm with you on the "getting burned" thing.

dave

Dang........ Well signature confirmation it is. I just hope that I can like call and have it setup that one of my parents can sign for a package coming in my name because I'm out of town at school. And pick it up at the hub if nobody is home at the time they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back