• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speeding up archiving, winrar, other archiving apps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I am archiving data with winrar, other archiving applications. It takes for ever, really slow. I am really wonderinf how can it speed it up. What does archiving depend on, cpu/l2 cache, I am not sure if the archiving apps will benefit from smp. Or is it the hard drive that makes a difference.
Thanks

Archiving would be faster with smp, however i'm not certain which specific archiving applications use it, if any. For the most part it depends on processor speed, other things will have some effect on how fast it get's done, but not near as much as raw processing power.

Try setting the compression level to "Store" or "Fastest" ;) That should speed things up alot.

then whats the real point of using winrar if your only going to store the files? sure, it makes it easier to send a bunch of files within one file...but that just nearly kills the use of that.

Honestly, there's not really a way to speed it up other than upgrading your computer in general. A Faster CPU/or a high overclock will yield the best results for speeing up Compressors.

More ram could never hurt, but still, either a faster clock rate, or a better processor is really your only option.

Unless someone here knows of a tweak which i'm clueless about...

zexmarquies01 said:
then whats the real point of using winrar if your only going to store the files? sure, it makes it easier to send a bunch of files within one file...but that just nearly kills the use of that.

Honestly, there's not really a way to speed it up other than upgrading your computer in general. A Faster CPU/or a high overclock will yield the best results for speeing up Compressors.

More ram could never hurt, but still, either a faster clock rate, or a better processor is really your only option.

Unless someone here knows of a tweak which i'm clueless about...

Thats all compression proggies do tbh, its not often my files end up much smaller then before i compress them (Even with high compression rates)

crana said:
Try setting the compression level to "Store" or "Fastest" ;) That should speed things up alot.

i use this method, problem is it doesn't compress the file as much but it is quicker.

With the size of today's drives, I gave up compressing files long ago. If they get to be too much on a drive, burn them onto CDs and tuck them away. Its actually easier(and faster) retrieving them off a disk than uncompressing files.

Back