• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k oem license legality question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
i have a short question about win2k oem license legality and the eula, all that fun stuff. if i buy a used OEM computer (a Dell for example) with a blank hard drive and no software CDs but it has the microsoft oem win2k product key sticker still affixed to the case is it legal to install win2k from an oem CD and use the product key that is on the case, or do i need to physically own the oem win2k cd that came with the computer to be 100% legit?

As far as I'm concerned, the serial number is what is worth the $2-300, and the CD is only useful to verify that you have a legit copy. You could try dropping by one of the local system builders that still provides OEM Win2k systems, but in my experiences with most of our local computer stores is that the majority of their employees are cretins (although walking in wearing a "I'd rather be hacking Windows" shirt and the like might have something to with that, although that is another story for another time) and prefer to be as unhelpful as possible.
All OEM CDs are the same, and they are worth about as much as a blank CD-R.

hmm, i looked up microsoft's "howtotell" site to get more information and found the following:

Certificate of Authenticity (COA) can serve as proof of license for a valid and licensed operating system.

but on another page on the same site it says:

A Certificate of Authenticity (COA) is a label that helps you identify genuine Microsoft software. A COA is not a software license – it is a visual identifier that assists in determining whether or not the Microsoft software you are running is genuine. However, without it, you will not have a legal license to run Microsoft software. A COA should never be purchased by itself without the software it authenticates.

i'd like to ask dell for their opinion but i don't know that i can get support since this dell doesn't have a service tag number anywhere on the serial number label or anywhere else on or inside the box for that matter.

An OEM license is attacthed to the hardware it was originally installed on. Therefore, if you are buying a system with an OEM sticker attached, then you should legally be able to use any OEM CD to intall windows with the CD Key.

With a Dell(depending how old it is) you should be able to go to their support website and get almost any info you need for your rig. Input what you have(model # and anything else) and what you know, and they should be able to help you identify your original configuration, etc. Not knowing what you have, on most Dells I have been in contact with lately the sticker with the applicable information is in the back below the exhaust fan.

awesome, you are correct stool, thanks! there is a small barcode sticker on the back of the system by the A/C input, when i put that number into the service tag field of dell's website it brought up everything. i'm going to check with dell directly and see what they say about the COA question. i'll report back to this thread in case anyone else runs into this in the future with a used dell.

Back