• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Outdated?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Legion2005

I have used Win2k for a while... ever since I upgraded from 98. Now.. my question is, does win2k fully support my hardware? Would I get any more preformance in going to XP Pro?

I dont really like the way XP is set up, but if I get better gaming preformance with that OS, I'll switch.

*edit* my grammer sucks

XP and 2K are virtually the same except for some graphical changes, a few optimizations, and whatnot. The general rule is that if it can run on XP, it can run on 2K unless otherwise stated.

there are some games that won't work on 2000, AOE 3 off the top of my head is one of them. I wouldn't upgrade if you're doing fine right now. I use XP home on my main rig, and 2k pro on my old school dell laptop. It can't run any games at all, so I really can't tell ya if theres a performance increase, though I really doubt there is one.

Well, that makes me happy. I dont have to go spend $140 on some software in which I dont like most of the features.

Thanks for your info

mdameron said:
there are some games that won't work on 2000, AOE 3 off the top of my head is one of them.

even with SP4 it's still unsupported? whoa.

Yeah, I have tried to install a demo of aoe3, but it told me I needed xp or newer.

Kinda ****ed me off, but I probably wont play that game anyways, world of warcraft junkie.

AOE-3 and any other game that states it will not run on Win2k is lying!
Architecturally, XP and 2K are about 95% the same, and the differences have more to do with graphics, memory management, file structuring, and other issues that have no relevence to run a specific software. There are some programs that are made to run on GDI+ and not the GDI that comes with Win2k, but even then it can be fixed by merely copying GDI+ off an XP box and registering it in your Win2k.
This however is not relevent to AOE-3, and it is mostly because of an OS check that you can't run it.
Here is how to get around that:
Timooo @ AOE III Heaven said:
To install the full retail version of AOE3 on a win2k system as people in here have said, you must use the command prompt:

1. Start > Run...
2. Type in cmd and press OK
3. When the Dos window appears type in D: or which ever letter your cd/dvd rom drive is; then press Enter.
4. Type in setup /a and press Enter.
5. Wait for the installation wizard to appear, and press Next.
6. Then type in the destination as to where you want it to be installed. I recommend using the default path, which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age Of Empires 3
7. Press Install.

Note: Once you have the game installed and try to run it, you may get an error about a d3dx9_25.dll if this is the case, then you can either download the D3DX April Update from http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/d3dx_dlls.html or reinstall DirectX9 completely.

Note: Once you have that done, you may also get another error about MSXML 4; if this is the case then you should install msxml.msi from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLa ng=en#filelist

After that you can run the game from the Game icon (not the autorun feature by inserting CD1) If you do not have the Game icon on your desktop then create it. To do so locate your Game directory, then find age3.exe and Right click on it, then click Send to > Desktop.

To Install The Age of Empires 3 1.01 Update: You must do the following:

1. Start > Run...
2. Type in Regedit and press OK
3. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/ Age of Empires 3/1.0
4. If you do not see a folder called Microsoft/ or Microsoft Games/ then you must create each folder leading up to 1.0.
5. To create a folder in the registry Right Click in the folder area and mouse-over New, then click Key and rename the folder appropriately.
6. Once you arive at the folder named 1.0 then you must Right Click in the right-hand side of the window; and mouse-over New, then click String Value
7. Name the new string value SetupPath, then Right Click on it; and click Modify
8. Under Value Data: you must type the Exact Location of the age3.exe If you used the recommended directory I gave above durring the installation, then you must put this: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age Of Empires 3\Age Of Empires III (Note: This is where most people go wrong, so be sure you have the Exact Directory Location of your age3.exe)
9. Run the Age of Empires 3 1.01 update.
Hope this keeps someone from spending another $140.00 just to get their latest AoE fix.

It's a 7 year old OS so yes it's out of date. Still works good but lacks security & features of XP. Performance wise for gaming they are very similar.

futura2001 said:
AOE-3 and any other game that states it will not run on Win2k is lying!
Architecturally, XP and 2K are about 95% the same, and the differences have more to do with graphics, memory management, file structuring, and other issues that have no relevence to run a specific software. There are some programs that are made to run on GDI+ and not the GDI that comes with Win2k, but even then it can be fixed by merely copying GDI+ off an XP box and registering it in your Win2k.
This however is not relevent to AOE-3, and it is mostly because of an OS check that you can't run it.
Here is how to get around that:

Hope this keeps someone from spending another $140.00 just to get their latest AoE fix.

I posted the same 'fix' in our AOE demo thread. Turns out, didn't work for everyone... but it's worth a shot.

i dont see why games not working on 2000 should **** anyone of f- it is a workstation O/S - not a home users / gamers O/S :) - that was not MS intentions.

anwyays - go to your hardware makers websites and look for drivers for 2000..

i used it as a game os for the first two years XP was out, never had a problem with it.

it was 100x more stable than XP until SP1/2 came out

I still run it fulltime on one of my secondary rigs. As long as its still being updated by MS, its as current as can be. I still haven't found a run-of-the-mill prog it won't run(except the one mentioned above)

mdameron said:
I posted the same 'fix' in our AOE demo thread. Turns out, didn't work for everyone... but it's worth a shot.
I wonder why? I haven't had a problem with this fix on three systems I've run it on, although I made sure they were fully updated and running the latest DirectX beforehand. It is interesting that it wouldn't work on some machines, and probably because of an obscure but relatively simple reason as well...

Back