• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

virtual mem on 2gb of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyBerGOd909

Registered
I am currently running 2gb of ram now, and wanted to make sure that my new virtual mem / swap file size will be at optimal size. with 2gb of ram i have a 200mb swap file that wont increase / decrease in size and is defragmented to the front of the drive. According to the tweaktowns guide that should be optimal. But searching google and forums just leads me still split. Some people still saying 1.5-2x ram, some say leave it at 768 or 1gb for virtual mem size. Anybody who is experienced and knows what would be best especially for gaming / photoshop etc. So far running fear and looking at task manager says I only use about 1gb out of total of 2. Should I stay where I am at?

yes ive heard people say that as well. If i let windows manage it i believe it will set about 2gb of space. it will be something like min 1gb max 2gb. And since windows can increase / decrease at its leisure, the swap file will get fraggd fairly easily. and can increase load times. Right now with just 200mb it does seem to be an improved performance when loading games. Maybe running benchmarks for loading times of games is truely the only way to determine max performance?

Back