• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Importing a foreign disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silverfoot

Okay, a while back I made a thread asking about swapping between Win server 2k3 and xp, and didn't really get any responses...SO, I went ahead and did the swap.

Well now I have the disk in my new desktop, and under Disk Management it is a Dynamic Foreign disk. I know you can import Dynamic Disks, but it is not giving me the option when I right click....this is my major storage HD. I MUST be able to access this and it is driving me nuts! Windows Support was useless.

It was in a WinServ 2k3 box, it is now in a WinXp Home box.

I thought somewhere I remember that XP home does not support dynamic hard disks directly, but that you can still import them. Well, so I have a XP Pro license ~ but the XP home version is Native SP2, so I can not upgrade...ARGGGG!

Please help

PS. The server it came out of is on the other side of the state, and I am at a remote camp site.

stool said:
Try this; http://support.microsoft.com/?KBID=816307 At the least it may tell you if what you are trying to do is OK.

Thank you. In the mean time I managed to get it working, but it required that I re-installed my OS to Win XP Pro.

Have not had internet since the day after I posted, happens in remote work sites.

I have a completely seperate issue with it now, but it is not M$ related, that I can tell. Whenever I try to copy files from it to the sata drives, it reboots my PC..Instantly. Dunno...I am going to post it in motherboards I think if Search doesn't return anything.

Thanks again

Back