• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleeper

Registered
I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, so forgive the double post (Hardware section)

I'm having problems getting my sound to work after swapping out motherboards. Have no Win error sounds, and can't play music CD's. I'm not sure if it is a Win problem, or if it is related to the Chaintech multimedia card. I tried using the Win trouble shooter but nothing worked. If I click on a .wav file, I get a msg that "Another application is playing audio. You can either interrupt the application or wait until it's done. The try using sound recorder again."

I pulled the CMC5.1 out,(Chaintech multimedia card) cleared the CMOS, re-loaded the Cmedia drivers, ran through all the Windows trouble shooter stuff, and still have no sound. I tried using a couple of media devices (Realplayer, etc) and got the msg "no sound card installed" ? Do I need a separate sound card? I thought it was built into the MB.

I uninstalled the cmedia 97 in the device manager and removed the drivers. Upon reboot, Win reinstalled cmedia 97.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

It's because Windows refused to load the sound card driver or the sound card driver failed to load properly. Please go to Device Manager to see the reason given by Windows, if any.

When I look in the device manager I see under
Sound, video, and game controllers
-Gameport joystick
- MPU-401 compatable
-Wave device for voice modem

What should the onboard sound card be called? Where can I load it from?

The only error exclamation marks are for:
Other devices
-PCI Ethernet controller
-PCI system management bus

Paul

stool said:
Have to ask...did you reenable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

Yes.
I gave up trying not to look stupid long ago, and I may have overlooked something really simple, so I'm open to any questionsand ideas.

Paul

Not familiar with your mobo, but is there a jumper on the mobo to enable/disable sound? Most have gotten away from jumpers, but some still have them.

Sleeper said:
When I look in the device manager I see under
Sound, video, and game controllers
-Gameport joystick
- MPU-401 compatable
-Wave device for voice modem

What should the onboard sound card be called? Where can I load it from?

The only error exclamation marks are for:
Other devices
-PCI Ethernet controller
-PCI system management bus

Paul

Did you install ALL your Chipset's drivers for your motherboard immediately after your Windows OS installation?? Your above "errors" sound youn't! Making sure that your On-board Sound is enabled in your BIOS, and NO other Sound Cards are installed in your PC IF you just to want to use your On-board sound only. :rolleyes:

Fixed the sound problem by reloading new cmedia drivers and NVidia Unified drivers. On to the next problem.
Thanks for the input guys.
Paul

Back