• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any way to completly remote contol a pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demighost

Sup guys i have to pcs in my room and 1 moniter,1kb,mouse u know. Neway i am going tos tart running a dedicated source server off the comp, but to add maps and updates n such later on will require me to unplug/plug/unlpug alot fo stuff. IS there any way to remote controlt he computer from my main rig? I need to be able to execute programs and change stuff on the fly, maybe even restart it possible? is there any program that can do this?

if you have xp you can go try out remote connection.

i know a couple of guys that ran a server for 1.6 with that

im not totally sure how they did that but try it out.

XP Pro comes with remote desktop, and can control any other XP machine. It's pretty easy to set up, and should work good from what you describe.

I use Dameware at work, it has more options, and really takes control of the machine. I've also heard good stuff about VNC.

My recommendation would be Radmin (aka Remote Administrator). It operates almost as if you were sitting there w/ the exception that you can't access it again until Radmin restarts. Therefore you couldn't have a bios pass or any other logins prior to Radmin being able to restart.

UltraVNC is my fave. File transfers, messaging (useless to many :) ), Sending Ctrl+Alt+Del, etc. Its also open source, faster than heck, and easier to setup than even remote desktop connection...which is also easy to setup.

Is there any way to make any of those invisible on the server? I too am looking to do the same thing, and where I am leaving the server, someone else has access. I don't want them to be able to disable my VNC, and they aren't PC literate enough to do it if it doesn't show up in the system tray.

Also, I need to be able to restart, defrag, basically do everything remotely. Will TightVNC fit the bill?

VNC does that, yes. It won't follow the boot process of course cause there is no OS to run the service on the PC's end. I think you can make UltraVNC invisible, I am not sure. the best one to do would be remote desktop, if that is the case. That is pretty transparent once you set it up right.

Remote Desktop is only on XP pro though. I am running home for both the server and client.

I know Tight vnc will boot with the OS, but it shows in the sys tray.. unless there is a setting I am missing..

there is a Disable tray Icon option in UltraVNC. I am sure it extends to other VNCs. And it does boot with the OS as a service but I meant that it won't show the post process etc, as you know. or seem to know.

Cheator said:
there is a Disable tray Icon option in UltraVNC. I am sure it extends to other VNCs. And it does boot with the OS as a service but I meant that it won't show the post process etc, as you know. or seem to know.
Lol.. I know NOTHING of this stuff..
Is Ultra free as well?
I need to set this thing up later tonight, after I get some work done.
Is it relatively easy to get up and running? Self explanitory to a network noob?

Also, no disable tray Icon that I could find in tight..

Most VNCs are free. Ultravnc.sf.net is where you can get it and it is open source.

It is a simple concept and a fairly simple software. It has options that can make it complicated simply because it...has so many features. Take a look and PM me if you have an issues or question.

O.K. a Few questions.

I managed to install on both boxes and connect over my local network, through a switch.
I disabled "require MS login", and just login using the box name and then the popup for password.

Indeed, ultra has silent and invis modes, whereas tight did not. :)

Firstly, Am I going to need the IP to connect over internet? That is only logical, so how will I connect to remote. IP:boxname?

Secondly, I assume the port on the remote machines router will need to be opened?

Any other nooob instructions I may need?

Also, I cant seem to logon with MS login enabled. I'm afraid I just don't understand it at the moment..lol

Last edited:
1. you will just use the ip. If you are behind a router you will have to forward the port which is 5900 (and 5800 for the java web thing). you can change the port for differnt machines. Like, my rig is port 5800 and my second rig is 4000. to connect to it i use "ip::port number".

2. Yes it will need to be opened.

3. the MS login uses the actual logins for your machine. I never use it though... somewhat useless at times.

So.. If he is behind a router, I would use, say 192.168.0.105:5900. Open both ports 5800 and 5900 on my router, and port 5900 on the remote router.

Leaving off the Ms login is fine then?
hmmm..probably use his wan IP

Last edited:
No , it defaults to 5900. If you are connecting to that port all you need is the hostname/ip.

There is no need to open ports on your router, as long as your firewall doesn't block anything. And 5900 is the only important port. 5800 is optional.

And yes, leave MS login off.

kk.. so
server-box/wanip? should be wan ip, yes?
5900 forwarded on remote router and thats it..

Back