• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Integrated audio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

K15

Need help locating a fairly general driver for this. At work we have an old PC (5+ years old, 4GB hard drive if you want the approx. age).
It had no speakers, I found some laying around and plugged them in. Of course there is no audio driver installed and it has Windows 98, which can't find any generic driver to use. Now I don't know who made the motherboard, but i'm certain it's a VIA chipset. Would it be AC '97 audio? In other words, would a driver for AC'97 work? I'm at home now, but I will email myself the driver and then try it out the next time I work. Any other ideas for a generic driver to use would be of help. PS, I tried Windows Update. 20 critical updates (lol), 40 recommended updates and 0 driver updates.

is it onboard? Can you open it up? If you can open the PC up, you will usually see a codec chip onboard either near the onboard sound card ports on the ATX I/O panel, or near the PCI slots towards the back of the PC, this will be the biggest hint you can find.

I try to use Unknown Device Identifier to see what a device is that has no driver installed. Google it, it may give you a clue.

Can't open the case. I thought about it, but the PC is stuck way back in this shelf thing and I would have to be "stealthy" in my endeavors, tough to do when the PC is in a hallway :bang head
I will try that unknown device identifier, thanks.

Back