• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you Control an HTPC with Remote Desktop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KD1

I want to hide a computer behind my entertainment center and hook it up to my stereo. I am trying to use Remote Desktop to control it but when I logon it only plays the music on the computer I'm sitting at. Is there a setting ? or better program to perform this task? :shrug:
Thank you

Will PC Anywhere work with a wireless network?

There are settings in remote desktop that let you control whether or not the sounds stay with the computer you are controlling or to your desktop.

options/local resources/remote computer sound

From there you can select "leave at remote computer", "do not play" and "bring to this computer". Hopefully that will fix you up.

it's pretty simple to do with remote desktop in windows xp. on a home lan there is plenty of bandwidth to enable all options on RDC for the client controlling the HTPC. you can remote control your home or work system over the internet too provided you open up the necessary port and set the machine up as a server in your router, but you'll probably have to be content to leave the themes and background off for it to be usable. i tried watching a DVD that was in my home system over RDC from work, i was able to see the initial frame :)

You may want to try VNC. I use VNC to control my HTPC. Works great. You won't be able to watch video though from the remote PC, but it will display video and sound on the PC you are controlling.

Back