• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Busmaster IDE driver help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gav1980

Registered
system details: ATX Mainboard K7T266Pro (MS-6380), AMD Athlon XP2000+, 1.67Ghz, 1.0GB RAM

problem: very slow to boot (2mins plus) and I get found new hardware box when eventually booted. Asks for Via Busmaster IDE Drivers - what are these for? where can I find them? I don't have a disk with them on.

what I've tried: Via 4in1 driver download - does nothing, don't know what else to try!

Device manager says:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

I'm new to this so make it simple for me!!!
Cheers :)

Looking in Device Manager, which device is listed as not having the drivers loaded for it? Also, which OS are you running?

WinXP pro SP1a
In device manager under 'SCSI and RAID controllers' tab the yellow ! is on the drop down saying 'VIA bus master IDE drivers'

I've also just noticed a yellow ! on 'USB Host to Host Bridge' under 'other devices', again it says that the drivers are not installed for this device.

Is this connected in any way to my problems - all USB ports I've got are working fine but there are two on the front of the box which we couldn't connect as the wires weren't long enough to reach the motherboard.

Cheers

gav1980 said:
WinXP pro SP1a
In device manager under 'SCSI and RAID controllers' tab the yellow ! is on the drop down saying 'VIA bus master IDE drivers'
What device(s) do you have connected to the onboard RAID controller, and how are any remaining devices connected to the board?

I don't know, my girlfriend's bro built the computer out of his old bits and some of our old computer. I'm not familiar with the insides of computers. I have installed internal CDRW/DVD ROM drives, that's about as far as I've got. how do i find out? Could you tell me what I'm looking for as I am an absolute beginner. I have the user manual in front of me for the motherboard, it says component: IDE3&IDE4, function: connects to IDE RAID HDD. I'm guessing you want me look and see what's connected to the IDE3&IDE4, is that correct?
Thanks for your help.

OK, I've had a look inside the computer and spoken to the guy who built it! Here's what I know now...

IDE1 = Master 6GB fujitsu harddrive (with WinXP pro) , daisy-chained to Slave 20GB seagate harddrive (not much on this one)
IDE2 = Master Freecom CDRW , daisy-chained to Slave DVD-ROM.
IDE3&IDE4 = these are not present on the motherboard, the user manual says they are optional (thank God!)
FDD = floppy drive
PCI slots (1 to 5) = all empty.
AGP slot = GForce4 4200ti 64MB Graphics card.
Onboard sound.

Hope this helps! Thanks.

Since IDE 3 and IDE 4 are optional, and you don't have the -R (RAID) version of the board (I researched the board, and found out that that model was also available in a RAID version)... I guess it might be possible that there's BIOS related settings for that unused controller. Check in the BIOS and see if you can find any settings related to a SCSI/RAID controller, and if any are found... make sure to disable them. Also check to make sure the correct BIOS (non-RAID version) is installed.

XP is obviously seeing a SCSI/RAID controller, which is why it's asking for the Busmaster IDE drivers... if all else fails, uninstall the SCSI controller from Device Manager (right click the controller and select "Uninstall"), and reboot.

Thanks, I checked the BIOS and there is no SCSI/RAID Controller settings so I did as suggested and uninstalled it from the device manager. It no longer appears when I boot up so that's solved that problem, however it is still really slow to boot up!
I've removed some programs from the startup menu and it's still really slow.
After boot-up and before doing anything I checked the Task Manager, it says there are 36 processes running, that sounds like a lot, is it? what can I do about it? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
While you're in Device Manager, select View --> "Show hidden devices", and check to see if you have any other device conflicts. Post a snapshot of all the running processes (Alt+PrtScn, then paste it into MS Paint and save it as a *.jpg). Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

OK then, hopefully there is a snapshot of the processes attached to this message. All the processes are on the list but I had to cut out the rest of the snapshot as it was too large to attach.

There are no conflicts in the hidden devices. :)

System Info, Problem Devices, only lists the following device:

USB Host To Host Bridge USB\VID_05E3&PID_0502\5&5AB336B&0&2 This device is disabled. :eh?:

Hope that's enough info for you!!!
Thanks for your help so far... :)

Attachments

• snapshot of processes Gav1980.JPG
    snapshot of processes Gav1980.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 271
Before going any further, I'd suggest downloading CCleaner from here...

http://www.ccleaner.com/

... and use it to clean out the TEMP directories, Browser cache, Windows log files, Prefetch data, etc. Then open the Disk Cleanup tool in XP (Start | Run | Type cleanmgr, and click OK) | "More Options" tab | System Restore --> "Clean up" button, to delete all but the most recent restore point. Also run Spybot S&D, available here...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

... and run a virus scan, making sure the latest definitions are installed.

Last edited:
CCleaner cleared up loads and resolved several issues and Spybot kicked out 80 nasties, so there's a start :) . My Virus scan (F-secure) didn't pick anything up and it was up to date. Oh, and I deleted all but the most recent system restore.

Having done all that it's still really slow to boot up. I've attached the current processes from straight after I just booted up. :bang head

Could it be that the 6GB HDD with XP Pro is old and slowing everything else down? If so, how can I rectify it? :eh?:

Attachments

• processes on boot up.JPG
    processes on boot up.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 272
Back