• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I set up windows on a fresh pc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papero

Alright, I can put a PC together myself, I can reformat a computer after the fact windows was installed, but for some reason I can't format a computer that's completely fresh.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
Athlon64 3200
Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 1GB
WD 80GB 7200HD
256MB FX5500 8xAGP

I put the windows cd in the cd-rom, press f11, boot from cd, I get a message saying please select the correct boot method. Now I know it's reading the disks because I put in the disk that came with the motherboard and it came up withs some freeDOS from nero.

I assumed when I put the windows disk in it would do the same as any other computer, take me to format it. But I was wrong..

Am I missing a step?

Trying to use WindowsXP by the way.

The exact phrase it says is

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

Last edited:
Papero said:
Alright, I can put a PC together myself, I can reformat a computer after the fact windows was installed, but for some reason I can't format a computer that's completely fresh.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
Athlon64 3200
Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 1GB
WD 80GB 7200HD
256MB FX5500 8xAGP

I put the windows cd in the cd-rom, press f11, boot from cd, I get a message saying please select the correct boot method. Now I know it's reading the disks because I put in the disk that came with the motherboard and it came up withs some freeDOS from nero.

I assumed when I put the windows disk in it would do the same as any other computer, take me to format it. But I was wrong..

Am I missing a step?

Trying to use WindowsXP by the way.

The exact phrase it says is

Reboot and Select proper Boot Device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

Go to the BIOS, and set the boot sequence to:

>> 3 1/2 Floppy A:/
>> CD Rom
>> Hard Drive

If it still doesn't work after that, create an MS-DOS start-up disk on another computer, boot that up, and then load the CD from MS-DOS

You have to change the boot sequence. You can change that in the BIOS menu, and to access it, just click the DELETE key while starting up the computer.
Change the boot sequence in order for the drive where you have your Windows CD is the 2nd one to boot (the 1rst drive should be the Floppy drive), then, in 3rd place you select your HDD where it's going to be installed the OS.

To reiterate, set first boot drive to CD-ROM, then anything second and 3rd. You don't need to set the floppy first, you're not using a floppy. After it installs and reboots, hit delete again and reset it to HDD first. Under normal usage, leave HDD first for optimal booting times.

mdameron said:
To reiterate, set first boot drive to CD-ROM, then anything second and 3rd. You don't need to set the floppy first, you're not using a floppy. After it installs and reboots, hit delete again and reset it to HDD first. Under normal usage, leave HDD first for optimal booting times.

Yeah, but it is always better to have the computer check other medias, before booting from the hard drive, so you don't have to change it again in the future... ;)

But as he can probably use a floppy, it doesn't harm if he sets it as 1st boot drive.

Back