• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Home obsolete by the end of 2006

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roid

Registered
Windows XP Home not obsolete by the end of 2006(yay)

Update:1-12-06
MS just updated their website.XP home is now supported two years after Vista:

"Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released."

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221

Good to see XPhome users will be given 2 more years to upgrade.

I came across this article at ars:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060103-5891.html

Then checked microsofts support lifecycle pages:

Looks like XP home is not going to receive any more updates after the end of this year.
With Vista set to come out only a few months earlier,MS is not giving people much time to upgrade.
I have XP pro on my main PC and XP home on my low end notebook.
I guess when the end of the year comes and if MS does discontinue security updates for XP home,I'll be putting linux on the notebook.I doubt it will run the 800 pound gorilla vista very well.
Anyone else here with XP home think this is a really bad strategy for MS to dump all its home users a few months after vista rolls out?

Last edited:
Aye I think its dumb too. But at the same time, its very MS of them. They are dumb at providing 'free' services. When I say free, I mean that updates are an extension of the OS, not mandatory.

I know that MSDN is awful too. There are so many friggin restrictions on it its no fun to work with.

Not a smart move on their part. I've stuck with Win2k for so long because a) it is pretty much XP. If Microsoft is just going to stop supporting everything after a few years just so people upgrade, they are going to have quite a few angry customers. To be fair, however, the OS is nearly 5 years old and Microsoft can't support everything forever. But, they should still support their own OSes for some time (read: 2 years) after they release a new version. Counting that they haven't released anything, and Vista is being released this year, it is an inappropriate ploy for more money.
Although to be perfectly frank, the majority of people who are running XP Home are the ones who can't even find the clearly labelled and boldly colored Windows Update icon, so I don't think this is going to ruin their day or anything. At least until they take their Dull into the local computer repair shop wondering why they have so much spy/ad/malware on their box and are told that Microsoft hates them and could care less about them until they shell out more monies...

Everything has to come to an end at sometime and just be glad they didnt try and make you pay for them upgrades! I shall have to try vista soon i tried a very early reliease and found something wrong but i canna remember what and vesides it was on my second rig lol

Does anyone have a date on when there stopping updates on pro no doubt that will be soon too?!

Xoligy said:
Does anyone have a date on when there stopping updates on pro no doubt that will be soon too?!

They are supporting XP pro for 2 years after vista and offering extended support for 5 years after that:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

"Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream support ends."

There is not much difference between home and pro so I dont see why they could not support home for at least another 2 years after vista.

bah, remember last year's win2k update rollup that was supposed to be the last update for win2k? yet i'm still getting updates.

This is what I would expect from a company run by a blood sucking leech. I trust you know what Bill Gates can do with his Vista and his billions. (Clue: the sun don't shine there:))

If you really think every XP machine will be thrown to the curb in 11 short months, than you are sadly mistaken IMO. How many of these XP machines are not even 64-bit capable? 75% or MORE? Doesn't Vista require a 64 Bit CPU, and a fancy Graphics card? So I guess 75% of ALL PC useres will be buying new hardware this year? :rolleyes: (Or am I wrong about the 64-bit part? I'm kind of clueless on Vista).

Just like others mentioned, even 2000 lived on past its "kill date", and is still a viable choice for TONS of Windows users. I'll be on XP for quite a while, and I doubt I'll try Vista until next year.

I thought MS said it will support XP for AT LEAST 2 years PAST the "Official" release of Vista (so more like "Official MS XP Support" past 2008, and probably thru 2010).

Don't worry XP dudes! We don't have to worry about Vista and its DRM crap for a LONG LONG time!!!

:cool:

Randyman... said:
If you really think every XP machine will be thrown to the curb in 11 short months, than you are sadly mistaken IMO. How many of these XP machines are not even 64-bit capable? 75% or MORE? Doesn't Vista require a 64 Bit CPU, and a fancy Graphics card? So I guess 75% of ALL PC useres will be buying new hardware this year? :rolleyes: (Or am I wrong about the 64-bit part? I'm kind of clueless on Vista).

Just like others mentioned, even 2000 lived on past its "kill date", and is still a viable choice for TONS of Windows users. I'll be on XP for quite a while, and I doubt I'll try Vista until next year.

I thought MS said it will support XP for AT LEAST 2 years PAST the "Official" release of Vista (so more like "Official MS XP Support" past 2008, and probably thru 2010).

Don't worry XP dudes! We don't have to worry about Vista and its DRM crap for a LONG LONG time!!!

Vista needs NEITHER a 64 bit CPU or a fancy graphics card. The thing that annoys me about Vista info is that almost ALL sites talk about the fancy graphics and how you need a fancy card. Absolutely not. In order to see the fancy 3D GUI effects and such, you need a good (great) card, but there are other skins as well. There will be a very XPish GUI for people upgrading, and then the classic GUI as well (same as 2K and 9x windows).

K15 - I stand corrected :) (I thought Vista was going to be 64-bit only). But MS will still support XP for a long long time (and w/o all of the DRM crap - at least not as much as Vista will have)... Like the link roid posted, MS will provide "Extended Support" for XP until 2011 (likely identical to how 2000 is treated now). No need to rush out and get Vista the instant it is officially released IMO.

I find it odd that MS says "We will fully support the previous OS for 2 years AFTER the new OS is released". Well Vista is NOT even released yet - so I bet MS will lengthen their "XP Mainstream Support" for at least another year (or 2), and extend the "Extended Support" to 2012. I don't know why the link says XP's Mainstream Support will cease in Dec 2006 (Vista will only have been out for like 8-10 months at that time).

this is dumb whens vista coming out people wont have enough time to upgrade and before they caint get updates I think they should support it for one year after vista ships.

roid said:
I came across this article at ars:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060103-5891.html

Then checked microsofts support lifecycle pages:

Looks like XP home is not going to receive any more updates after the end of this year.
With Vista set to come out only a few months earlier,MS is not giving people much time to upgrade.
I have XP pro on my main PC and XP home on my low end notebook.
I guess when the end of the year comes and if MS does discontinue security updates for XP home,I'll be putting linux on the notebook.I doubt it will run the 800 pound gorilla vista very well.
Anyone else here with XP home think this is a really bad strategy for MS to dump all its home users a few months after vista rolls out?

that's what they said sometime ago about win98, and the corp world went ape and said this is BS, so they extended it. (I can still get updates for w98 on an old laptop) XP Home may be diff as the numbers are prolly smaller.

K15 said:
There will be a very XPish GUI for people upgrading, and then the classic GUI as well (same as 2K and 9x windows).

hey that's cool, the 2k/9x gui is still a functional masterpiece.

jajmon said:
XP Home may be diff as the numbers are prolly smaller.

Just think how many XP-Home licenses (PC's) Dell has sold the past 5 years :eek:

Also - this "XP Home Obsoltete by Dec 2006" is ONLY talking about "Mainstream Support". "Extended Support" (critical updates, security patches, etc) will go on for AT LEAST 6 more years (2011), and likely extend beyond that IMO. I really think (read as "Hope") the XP Mainstram Support will indeed hold up for 2 years AFTER Vista is "Officially" released, and XP's Extended Support will run until 2013 or so.

Nothing to worry about AT ALL!!! (at least not for 6 years and 10 major hardware changes later ;) ). MS is NOT forcing you into Vista until sometime after 2010 (but they would LOVE for you to buy Vista even if you have a fully functional XP license). I could see trying Vista in one of my rigs in 2007 - but my other 5 Windows rigs will stay on XP until who knows when? They certainly WON'T be obsolete at the end of this year...

benbaked said:
hey that's cool, the 2k/9x gui is still a functional masterpiece.
Indeed it is. I prefer it to foo-foo pretty looking GUIs any day: it has everything I need, doesn't waste resources, and most importantly is minimalistic. Although I have admittedly done extensive redesigning to it.

800 Pound gorrilla? My P3 1Ghz handles vista beta fairly well of course main features like aero glass wont work, but then it reverts to aero basic, which still looks pretty good. I may not be right, but I dont think Vista should be that much of a problem for your laptop

K15 said:
Vista needs NEITHER a 64 bit CPU or a fancy graphics card. The thing that annoys me about Vista info is that almost ALL sites talk about the fancy graphics and how you need a fancy card. Absolutely not. In order to see the fancy 3D GUI effects and such, you need a good (great) card, but there are other skins as well. There will be a very XPish GUI for people upgrading, and then the classic GUI as well (same as 2K and 9x windows).
You are correct, please dont be fooled by the people who say such things

I have updated my original post with news that ms is extending XP Homes support for two years after vista.

CoreGamer said:
800 Pound gorrilla? My P3 1Ghz handles vista beta fairly well of course main features like aero glass wont work, but then it reverts to aero basic, which still looks pretty good. I may not be right, but I dont think Vista should be that much of a problem for your laptop

WOW,Fist time I heard of someone installing vista on an older machine.Good to hear it runs ok on it.
Aren't the new main features the big selling point for vista?
Whats the point upgrading if you can't use all the new features?
May as well save up for new hardware that will let you use it.

Back