• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used PC with sticker, but no CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiggamanjb

So I have this PC from a friend that had a PC with a Win XP CD-key sticker on it, but no OS ( they had to wipe the drive ) Now I would like to reinstall Win, but they don't have the Win CD. I have one and I tried to use it with the key on the PC, but it didn't work. This looks like it is a corporate sticker of somekind possibly. Anyone know how I can get WinXP back on here. The sticker is valid, and paid for, so I should be able to get Win back on there.

If you have the CD key, you may try calling M$ and say you lost the discs that used $key (you might need the name that the copy is registered to). No idea if it will work, but it might.

Alternately, you could pick up an upgrade copy cheap, then use a Win98 CD to get the upgrade installed.

Cheator said:
You have to use the exact CD itis for. If it is win xp Pro SP2, you need SP2, etc

I have both XP Pro with and without SP2, neither worked. :shrug:

Dreamstalker said:
Alternately, you could pick up an upgrade copy cheap, then use a Win98 CD to get the upgrade installed.

Didn't think of that. How cheap? All I've seen is around $70.

jmjb,

i have oem disc's that i tried to slipstream for the dell systems that my afterschool job has me format. i couldn't slipstream them so i install the xp with sp1 disc first, then load sp2 after.

pm me :)

eddie

I had no problem slipstreaming dell OEM cds using nlite. If its a dell I think they will replace the cd for a small fee.

Ebola said:
I had no problem slipstreaming dell OEM cds using nlite. If its a dell I think they will replace the cd for a small fee.

i'm semi-computer illiterate, when i joined the forums here in september, i found out you can turn off your pc from windows :( before i would just hit the power button.

i know its no excuse for not have success with slipstreaming but its kind of a learning process for me.

even though i'm still pc ignorant, i've come along way.

jmjb yhpm.

I still can't figure out how to go about this. There is nowhere on M$ website for help on getting a replacement CD or a # to call for help. Shouldn't it be as easy as putting in my CD key and them charging me a shipping fee and sending me out a CD, why is that so hard.....?

I would try sending MS an email at some costumer support for Windows option. I am sure it can't be that hard to find some email address to get to them at regarding Windows support. That is at least a first step. From there they can get back to you with the right people to contact if needed, or just tell you NO.

Back