• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple of IT questions for you all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
So I'm taking (yet another) IT test in an attempt to move up in my company. I have no idea what they are going to throw at me, so I figured I'd toss a couple of potential questions at you guys for my last minute studying:

1. How do you update multiple computers over a network? I know how to make Windows automatically update on a regular basis from Windows Update, but is there a more specific way to force all people on a network to download a specific update to run?

2. How do companies set up multiple user accounts that are common among several computers? 99% of my IT-type experience came from home, so I really have no idea how I have a user account that I am able to log in on any computer in the workplace. Any information on this matter would be very helpful. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Microsoft Exchange Server (which I have little knowledge on as well).

well I have no clue for question number one, but question number 2 is realtively simple. In large networks they use a domain controller, and you add the users in the active directory on your domain controller. at least that's what I remember from my windows 2k classes

1. Most large companies use SMS, WSUS, or some tool to push updates. I've used sms, wsus, sus, and batch scripts.

2. Active directory is right. You set up security groups and assign users to them. When you assign a folder or computer privilage to that security group then everyone in the group can access its contents.

AD is very flexible. I started out working for a company with 25 users. Now I'm working at a company with a multidomain network with tens of thousands of users.

So I guess I should go learn a bit about Active Directory in case there is a question on that. Got any decent sources?

Do yourself a favor, find out what cert or at least the material they are going to be testing on. IT is very focused on particular areas of expertise and each has it's own specific qualifications. The broader your up to date working knowledge is the more money your gonna make if you have the right personality.

Of course there are tons of resources out there that target AD environments, I'm sure you can find one if your serious about it ;)

Pssh, here I thought I was going to have some kind of written exam. I went in there for the test today and they made me build 2 computers. Piece of cake.

they gave me a pile of parts. One was a socket 939 system with a dfi lanparty board. The other was a socket A system with an asus a7v board. The only real "trick" was that some parts weren't compatible with one system or another. Some parts were not really compatible with either.

For example, the RAM I was given was the following:

2 sticks of 256mb pc100
1 stick of 512mb pc100
2 sticks of 256mb pc133
1 stick of 512mb pc133
1 stick of 512mb pc2700
1 stick of of 512mb pc4000
2 sticks of 512mb pc3200

I wound up using the 3 sticks of pc133 in one system (they double checked which sticks I selected and the order I put them in) and 2 sticks of pc3200 in another system.

Back