• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy Transfer of System from XP Pro to Media Centre

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

I want to install XP Media Centre on my PC, replacing my current XP Pro. I have 2 identical 250GB SATA2 HDD. One of which has about 220GB used - the other one has not been installed yet. My plan was to just disconnect the current HDD, install Media Centre on the Blank Drive, then recconect the old drive, transfer over all my files, the just reformat the old drive. Will I encounter any problems with this idea? Will the comp complain about booting to Media Centre instead of XP Pro, which would still be installed technically.

I think you will be ok as long as you make the MCE HD the first boot device. The MBR on that drive will tell the PC to go load the OS on that drive, and not know about the other HD.

To make sure I would probbaly just put the new HD on the same channel that the current HD is using. This will ensure that it will become the first boot HD in BIOS and be the drive that gets the MBR written to.

Back