• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VNC - A guide using Ultr@VNC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

VNC Guide using Ultr@VNC

What you’ll need:

Access to the server (computer you’re connecting to)
Access to the router or firewall for the server
Setup file on the server: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ultravnc/UltraVnc-101-Setup.zip?download
Removable storage (USB drive) or access to the remote client PC

Instructions:

1. Extract the installation file to a temporary location on your server.

2. Run the installation file
-a. After choosing the language and path, make sure you install all 4 pieces to the server (server, mirror driver, viewer, and DSM plugin)
-b. For full functionality, I suggest choosing all of the options under the ‘additional tasks’ portion of the install.
-c. I left both the MS Logon and Admin Properties paths in the default temp locations.
-d. The installation will warn you about setting a password and then take you to the properties. Take this opportunity to add a VNC password. If you choose to use MS Logon (which uses current windows users on the system to authenticate) each login will require a username and the VNC password you are supplying. Leave the other settings as they are for now and click OK and finish the installation.

3. You should now have shortcuts for both the server and the viewer. If you doubleclick on the server you should get an error that says you already have the server running. If you look in your services you should see that the ‘VNC Server’ is indeed running. You can disable this service and restart using the shortcut if you want a tray icon (and subsequently the options for Ultr@VNC). Alternatively, you can close the server and run the server as a service from the services window (i.e. startup with windows), which is nice as it is running in the background and does not require the 'eye' in the corner.

4. Double-click on the blue ‘eye’ in your system tray to open options for your VNC server. You can set this up however you’d like. I suggest that you leave MS Logon (both checked) enabled and you remove wallpaper for viewers unless you are using this across your local network. Click ‘OK’ when you’re done.

5. Make sure you have your server computer set up to have a static IP on your network (more info here.) One tip to remember when setting your PC to a static IP is to not give it an IP that is currently active in your router’s DHCP range.

6. Access your router (usually 192.168.1.1, you might need to consult your manual) and forward port 5900 to the server PC’s static IP. If you want to access the computer via a browser you can also forward port 5800. I do not believe that you can use the browser for VNC if you choose to secure it using 128-bit encryption (more on that later*).

7. You can either use your IP or set up a free url at no ip. To set up a free URL (for dynamic IPs, for instance) follow these directions:
-a. Set up an account at no ip.
-b. Add a Host and choose your name and free domain (ex: bob.myvnc.com).
-c. Download the dynamic ip updater at www.no-ip.com/downloads.
-d. Install the dynamic ip updater on your VNC server (take defaults) and then enter your no-ip account info. The updater will log in and you should see the domain you created. Update the domain once (by clicking next to it) and then minimize or close the program. If you set the updater to run in the background automatically it will update the domain you set up with your dynamic IP on a regular basis.

8. Explore to the UltraVNC folder on your server and locate the vncviewer.exe application. Take this file and put it onto removable media or load it on to your remote client PC.

9. Open the viewer on another PC via the removable media or the PC that you moved it to and type in the domain you created from no-ip in the VNC Server field. I suggest you use the ‘Medium’ setting, to avoid excess lag. Auto-scaling is helpful if the PC you are connecting to has a larger resolution than the PC you are connecting from.

10. When you click ‘Connect’ in the viewer it should come up with a username and password prompt, assuming you forwarded your port correctly and have the server running.

11. The vncviewer.exe file can be contained on a USB drive or any other removable media with enough space, so when you are done using the PC to connect to your server, you can take the viewer with you and not leave a copy of it on the PC you just used (very helpful on public machines).

*Using 128-bit encryption to connect to your Ultr@VNC server:

1. Download the DSM plug-in here (for more information see the full website).

2. Extract the files to your x:\program files\ultravnc folder.

3. Open your VNC server options, locate the DSM Plugins, choose MSRC4Plugin.dsm, check the checkbox next to it, and click on ‘Config’.

4. Take note of the location where your new key will be generated and generate a 128-bit key.

5. Under the path you took note of (usually x:\program files\ultravnc) there is a file named new_rc4.key. Rename this file to rc4.key. This is your encrypted key, keep this in only 2 locations: the server-side in the ultravnc folder, and the viewer-side on your removable media or the remote client PC.

6. Copy the rc4.key to your removable media or remote client PC to the same folder as the vncviewer.exe via secure methods (i.e. not email). Also move the MSRC4PluginNo_Reg.dsm file (same plugin that does not use windows registry) from the ultravnc folder on the server to the USB Drive or remote client PC in the same folder as the vncviewer.exe.

7. When you open the viewer on the removable media or remote client PC you have to activate the plugin by choosing it under the DSM Plugins area and checking the checkbox next to it. As long as the same key is used on the viewer (i.e. in the same folder) and the server (in the ultravnc folder), it should connect and ask for a username and password when you connect to your server.

8. You can test the encryption by either not using the plugin on connection, removing the key from your removable media or remote client PC and trying to connect, or producing a different key and using it to try and connect. You should not be able to connect using any of these methods. Only the one key that is used on both the viewer AND the server will work.

Good luck!

I only know what I have garnered through personal experience with this software, so if I have done something erroneous or crazy, please let me know. If this is not as secure a method as I hope, please let me know. If this just plain sucks, please let me know. I use it all the time and love it!

Last edited:
Back