• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reseting on Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reese1222

Registered
I took my Hard Drive out of my computer and into a friends new computer to burn it in, since i had all the programs as well as games we wanted to play already on my hard drive. I have done this on two-three other computers and only had to repair windows to make it work. On installation, it reboots before it gets to the Windows Xp loading screen. I did a repair and still no difference. Keep in mind the new computer is running a NVidia nForce4 chipset instead of the previous three, including my own, was a nForce2. Any help?

If you change chipsets, chances are you are going to have to reinstall Windows. This has been true with all versions of Windows. It also isn't something that you can just repair either.

To further explain, I'm betting you have your computer set up to automatically restart on a critical failure. This may or may not be on by default, but from now on always make sure it is disabled. If it is disabled, you can't see the BSOD that will tell you that something is wrong, and more importantly help you to diagnose what is wrong.
If you did have it disabled, you would most likely be seeing a 0x7b error, which basically means that Windows can't read the boot drive.
for more information on this type of error, and more information on stop errors in general, Captain Newbie posted a great thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=420646

how do i turn off reset on error. i know once when pressing F8 the option came up under Last Known Good Configuration. and i was able to find out what to do, but is there a way of shutting it off completely?

Charlie Russel said:
To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot.

Boot into Safe Mode to do so.
You can also boot with a log created, so you can try to diagnose what is hanging you up.

stool said:
Boot into Safe Mode to do so.
You can also boot with a log created, so you can try to diagnose what is hanging you up.
Not if the error is because the boot config has changed. You could move it over to the original computer and you should be able to boot normally and turn off automatic restart, but that doesn't help you boot it in the other system except to see the nice BSOD you've been missing out on.
About the only thing you can do is reinstall Windows (not a repair reinstall, a full reinstall) on the new box.

Back