• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving pagefile to Outer Dia. of hard disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsluk

Hi all,

Learn about this trick from Adrian's Rojak.com to speed up operations in Windows. Wanted to try Diskeeper but the links they provide me is not accessible. Everything is grayed out and there are red "x" in each of the boxes. Are there any freeware or shareware that will do this beside Diskeeper? Thanks. :cool:

Don't bother. You won't see a noticeable performance increase from doing so unless you actually need more ram. Even moving your page file over to a dedicated ramdrive won't lend you a noticeable difference in performance if you have your memory properly sized to what you want to do with it.
A better solution (if it isn't already enabled and you have more than 256mb of ram) is to keep the kernel in memory. As long as there is enough free memory, the Windows kernel will be kept in memory but will reliquish the memory space if another application needs the memory.
This will lend to a more noticeable increase in performance, and completely invalidates any performance you would gain by moving the page file to the outer edges of the disk.

diskeeper supposedly makes your mft big enough so that it is not being used to capacity (makes it larger to give it elbow room). I have never seen any ap that would change the physical location (in relation to a hd's design) of a system file. I have only one page file, & that being on my slave. As soon as mechanical parts of pc's are eliminated the world will be a better place.

Hey thanks all for the replies.

A better solution (if it isn't already enabled and you have more than 256mb of ram) is to keep the kernel in memory. As long as there is enough free memory, the Windows kernel will be kept in memory

Futura - How do I do the kernel in memory suggestion? As you can see in the sig. I have plenty of ram. Thanks.

Habbajabba - Just like your setup, I also moved my pagefile to my 3rd hard drive and left the OS on the raid 0. Thanks.

At HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management, add a DWORD value named "LargeSystemCache" (CaseSensitive) and while you are at it, you might as well add DWORD value "DisableExecutivePaging" (This prevents Windows from paging key files to to the hard drive) as well. You might also want to add a value named "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" as well, pretty self explanatory what it does.
All these values should be set to 1 to enable, and 0 to disable.

Back