• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put the Resovoir in a Mini Freezer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
I was looking at miniature 1.5 to 2 cubic foot freezers that go for about $90 and they chill down to a maximum thermostat position of -1* F

What do you guys think about drilling 2 holes in this micro freezer and some how keeping my resovoir inside of the mini freezer? I would keep the thermostat somewhere at around 10* F when the rig is running and higher than 32* F when I have the PC turned off.

Basically: Radiator -> Mini Freezer w/ Resovoir Enclosed -> Pump -> CPU Block -> GPU Block -> Radiator

Do you think this would cool down temps substantially?

Dom

I would think the water would freeze in the freezer and not pass through your system very well but it could work. Dont want to think about doing it though sounds pretty difficult

Romain said:
I would think the water would freeze in the freezer and not pass through your system very well but it could work. Dont want to think about doing it though sounds pretty difficult

I would be running 100% MCT-40 Non-Conductive Coolant/Anti-Algea. This coolant is good all the way down to -40* F. That means that it would be impossible for this stuff to freeze.

Dom

squasher said:
Your water would not freeze, you don't have to worry about that. If your resevoir is big it might work, but dont forget this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=373263

Thanks for the link, good info. I guess I will just have to test this one out.
P.S. I am not using a mini-fridge. I am using a straight up mini freezer. Probably the same idea though.

Dom

Back