• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Database (from VB, to Internet)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

Hey.

I am building a program. It will capture an image and some text input, and it will send it to a database. That database will need to be able to be accessesd / searched / grab the images from a web browser.

What databasing software would you suggest? Access and SQL seem to both be availiable to me. Which will be easier to set up / manage / compatibilitize with the Visual Basic output?

The program isn't finished yet, so whatever the program outputs will easily be able to be changed around to suit the need.

There will be several (5 or so) computers running the capture program, and one computer storing the database of pictures. Most of the capture computers will be in the same room as the database (I believe) but at least one will not.

you wouldn't store the actual image in the database, you would store its location. SQL is fine for doing it, its more open source than access and will probably run better. Both require some work to manage.

Ramlaen said:
you wouldn't store the actual image in the database, you would store its location.

Hehe.. yeah I realized that. So. I'm gonna try access (as its more user friendly) and if I can't get what I want, I will try SQL.

SQL is your best bet. It may be a little more work, but in the end it will be well worth it. Access databases get bloated fast.

Back