• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help asap, packet loss on xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnakeEyez

I play this online game called soldat, its a downloadable 2d game. Im haveing issues with stuff registering like shots, grenades, etc and everyones telling me its packet loss is there anything I can do to prevent "packet loss" im getting so frustrated with stuff not being able to register. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :bang head

what do you mean "stuff registering like shots, grenades, etc"?

You mean the game feels like it's dropping frames?

Packet loss is not something you need to worry about if you have a constant internet connection. It usually occurs if you have a crappy internet connection. If you drop connection every now and then, then that's what would cause packet loss.

dawei213 said:
what do you mean "stuff registering like shots, grenades, etc"?

You mean the game feels like it's dropping frames?

No like shots that should hit and kill someone will sometimes not "register" as if I didnt even shoot them but I did. I was told it was a problem on my end somehow and im extremely frustrated trying to fix it but I dont even know what "it" is :bang head

Not an easy thing to troubleshoot. Best bet would be to upgrade all your Networking components & make damn sure your wiring is good, ie replace it or at least verify tight connections. Run the most current device (LAN) drivers & firmware if your using a router.

Microsoft is releasing patches weekly for buffer overflows and I have noticed at least with IE I have to F5 when browsing now. If you get all your stuff good then you can try to get your ISP involved. Have them test the signal strength to see if it's in spec.

You can also go Here for a free speed test. Not the best way to test for connectivity problems but its good as a basic test.

Try running Perfmon with Counters for you Network Interface, ie Packets discarded, Packets errors, Packets unknown while gaming.

Start | Run | type perfmon.msc & hit Enter. Click the + sign to add them.

Back