• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to XP or wait for Vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveeb

Currently running W2K Pro. Would there be any advantage to upgrade to XP (besides being able to play BF2) or should I wait for Vista? And does anyone have an approximate date of release for Vista?

If you plan to watch dvd's on your pc or thru your HTPC, read thru some of the following results.
http://www.google.com/search?q=vist...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

I assume this will affect my current standalone dvd player and 27in Sony tv. I could be wrong though. It's all DRM that will force the consumer to by product to watch what they legally purchased. /end rant

If you are happy with what you have, I would hold out and see how things shake out w/vista.

Fr3@k3r said:
..... IMHO vista is gonna be way to overpriced for the regular people.. especially if you want the version of vista that will be for gamers :D

What? The normal full version of Windows XP is not overpriced already??? Haha j/king.

How much is vista going to be?

As for upgrading, as long as you are able to do everything now, why spend the extra to upgrade right?

BF2 has a hack to get it to work on win 2k i recall.

and i would say wait for now - but even if u did get Vista, i would not buy it for @ least a ear after it has been out.

I think you should have hopped onto the XP boat a long time ago. The OS is around 6 years old now, yes, upgrade, unless you can truly hold out for another year or so for Vista.

I think Vista is going to be overpriced and has still not been proven. Let it come out first and see how it is. Myself, I just bought a retail version of XP pro. I am just hearing too many things about the Vista "security features" to invest my money at this point.

not to thread jack, but BF2 runs just fine in W2K... Actaully, in my experience, it runs better on my system with W2K than with Windows XP... You just have to make sure you remove all *ALL* traces of your video card drivers before installing the game.... and yes, I agree with most of the people here that Vista is just going to be overpriced for the typical PC user, not to mention all of the useless eye candy for us gamers :)

GerrFel said:
I think you should have hopped onto the XP boat a long time ago. The OS is around 6 years old now, yes, upgrade, unless you can truly hold out for another year or so for Vista.

Win2k was and still is a gem. It's a great windows OS and XP just adds a whole bunch of bulk onto it that you don't need.

Win2k is perfectly fine for now. I would wait to see if Vista is any good, and make your switch then.

Vista has some pretty high-performance Hardware requirements, If your running 2000 I'd be worried about if your system meets the high-requirements of Vista

The fella above stole my thunder. I think the hardware requirements are going to be pretty high from what I have seen. I have been running the newest release and so far it really isn't any cooler than XP anyhow. I realize they have several quarters to go on it though. ANyhow I'd say gor for the cost savings and run XP for now. CYA!

ElroyCarbon said:
The fella above stole my thunder. I think the hardware requirements are going to be pretty high from what I have seen. I have been running the newest release and so far it really isn't any cooler than XP anyhow. I realize they have several quarters to go on it though. ANyhow I'd say gor for the cost savings and run XP for now. CYA!

LOL woops. But yeah I agree with you.

I'll also add, that if you get WindowsXP (sorry if I sound like a salesman) you can buy the "Upgrade" version of Windows Vista later, that will enable you to upgrade to it, at a much lower cost than buying it OEM or Retail.

jcw122 said:
LOL woops. But yeah I agree with you.

I'll also add, that if you get WindowsXP (sorry if I sound like a salesman) you can buy the "Upgrade" version of Windows Vista later, that will enable you to upgrade to it, at a much lower cost than buying it OEM or Retail.
But didnt the "upgrade" package to go from win 98 to XP not work well at all? I never ran win 2K so I dont know how well the upgrade worked for that. But what if the "upgrade" package is like the "upgrade" package to go from win 98 to XP and isnt as great?

school discount on OS's rock! :woot: i'm on 2k right now, but going to go to XP as soon as i get around to backing up and prepairing for the wipe.

if 2k is working for you i don't see any real reason to upgrade yet. i'm just goign to upgrade because it's really cheap, and i need to wipe and reinstall my OS anyways.

shawkins said:
But didnt the "upgrade" package to go from win 98 to XP not work well at all? I never ran win 2K so I dont know how well the upgrade worked for that. But what if the "upgrade" package is like the "upgrade" package to go from win 98 to XP and isnt as great?

I've never researched or found info on Upgrade OS software before, so you may be right, might wanna ask around about that.

I know that the day after I finally break down and buy XP, Vista will come out.

Must...not...buy...XP...

Must...hold...on...till...Vista...SP1 :)

I say neither. XP is just a stupid resource hog and Vista will be an even bigger resource hog with DRM built in. IMO Win2k is the best Windows OS so far (tho that's not saying much). Just keep it unless Vista actually turns out to not be sucky and overpriced.

Back