• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My quest for a Video Card continues - 7800 GTX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Sorry if I'm thread *****ing, I'm a little excited bout this topic; besides January is a slow month for my business so I spend a lot of time on the PC.

As some of you already know, (5 threads on this subject) I bought and benched the 7800 GT yesterday. On the current setting of 450/1.05 the Card did 7100 3dmark 05 so its not too bad - again however, I am looking for more performance.

This morning, I woke up a little upset that I wasn't getting the performance I want to get, 9000+ 3dmark 05 scores. Preferably I want to get up there with the big boys without going to an AMD chip.

Strange thing about Aquamark 3 was my score was only a measly 69,781 I was at the 66,000 margin with my 6800 GS card OC'ed at 525/1.2 - Is aquamark tailored towards the AMD users? because my CPU scores seems awefully low 8,900 margin.

My system specs in detail are.

Fresh install of Windows XP Service Pack 2
WD SATA 200 GB Harddrive
PQi PC5400 2 GB of memory.
P4 640 @ 3.54 Ghz - 220 FSB stock voltage for mem/cpu. DDR memory timing are stock also.

On the benches, no unneccessary software was running, just the benchmark programs.

Aside from the weird Aquamark3 scores, I am not a bit concern about stability of my system.

Is my scores for Aquamark3 normal? for an Intel CPU?

What kind numbers can I expect in 3dmark05 with the GTX card?

Thanks in advance.

you can expect 8000 I would say with the card at stock in that system maybe more, Most peeps with high end intels and AMD's can break 9k easily...

The gtx is 24 pipes

66,000 for 6800gs at those clocks is low in aquamark, i was able to beat those number with a 3000 venice and a 6600gt...

With the 7800gt you should have been well over 80k
I was able to do that with a 6800gt as have most people...

Could quite possibly be cpu limited but i dont think that much intel is not that far behind in gaming, although 3dmarks favors AMD somewhat. I know a dude with a intel 900 whatever duall at 4.0+ that gets the same scores as me with a 2.6 AMD dually with same video card, your scores compared to a 2.6 machester/toledo core should be roughly the same which is what I am comparing them too.

may have another problem. Are you doing reformats while swapping all these cards ? Also are you settings drives to performance and turning off AA and AF ??

Last edited:
Rattle said:
you can expect 8000 I would say with the card at stock in that system maybe more, Most peeps with high end intels and AMD's can break 9k easily...

The gtx is 24 pipes

66,000 for 6800gs at those clocks is low in aquamark, i was able to beat those number with a 3000 venice and a 6600gt...

With the 7800gt you should have been well over 80k
I was able to do that with a 6800gt as have most people...

Could quite possibly be cpu limited but i dont think that much intel is not that far behind in gaming, although 3dmarks favors AMD somewhat. I know a dude with a intel 900 whatever duall at 4.0+ that gets the same scores as me with a 2.6 AMD dually with same video card, your scores compared to a 2.6 machester/toledo core should be roughly the same which is what I am comparing them too.

may have another problem. Are you doing reformats while swapping all these cards ? Also are you settings drives to performance and turning off AA and AF ??

No, I only reformatted with the 6600 card, haven't reformated since.

I have my setting set to "quality" and not "performance."

I have the XFX 7800GT with the same factory clocks but with an AMD San Diego core running at FX-57 speeds (2.8 GHz). Aquamark is in the mid 90's. The difference between quality and performance settings was 1500 points for me. Also, running the benchmark right after a reboot makes a big difference as does what drivers you are running. 69K for aquamark3 seems very low despite the difference in CPUs.

M Powered said:
No, I only reformatted with the 6600 card, haven't reformated since.

I have my setting set to "quality" and not "performance."

thats your problem, we all base the benchies on strickly high speed performance settings, and I would definetly do a fresh install when the 7800gtx arrives...

Rattle said:
thats your problem, we all base the benchies on strickly high speed performance settings, and I would definetly do a fresh install when the 7800gtx arrives...

Strange, I moved it to performance and I got no gains.

Back