• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows 2k boot time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DvBoard

when my computer boots after shutdown it normally can take a few minutes before the desktop even appears. It seems to take a long period of time while either applying network settings, or applying security settings.

this only started happening after i started using hibernate so that it would come back to life instead of waiting for a full boot from nothing everytime.

could this have caused some kind of problem? :eh?: i woudl use standby but it causes issues with my sound, and hibernate seems to work, so i just use it. however i woudl like to fix this problem if possible. at this point i'm very temped to back everything up and upgrade to XP.

other notes that might help you help me:
desktop
windows 2k Pro
install is 3 (?) years old :shrug: been on here a long time.
2.4GHz P4
1 gig of ram (2700?)
7200RPM HD
1.75 GB free space, on 10GB partition (OS partition)

well you definetly could be happy with a fresh install.

have you ran check disk and defrag regularly ?

what size is used on your os partition ?

id reccomend backing up and doing a fresh install. no real need to upgrade to xp unless you want to.

if you do a fresh install be sure to get the latest drivers for your hardware. also make sure you are running latest bios for your motherboard.

I think the fact that you only have 1.75gb left on your HD could slow you down. Also a fresh install will really speed things up if its been a few years.

Oh yeah, you definitely could use a fresh install, to echo what the others said. With those hardware specs, you sure you wouldn't want to jump to win xp while you're at it?

right now i'm waiting till i can afford a DVD burner to backup before i wipe and reinstall (was a last resort, but i think now it's my only option that will fix everything), and figured i'd go ahead an upgrade to XP while i'm at it (being a student is good for once). I was just hoping there was a way to help it till then.

i'll try check disk (don't think i ever have), defragging (it's been so long i don't remember how long ago it was), and i guess i can free up a bit more space by moving things to other partitions.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully i can fix this thing enough to last me till i can afford to restart completely.

You might want to try generating a boot log for troubleshooting purposes...Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Under the "Boot.ini" tab of the System Configuration Utility, put a check next to /BOOTLOG and click OK | On next reboot a file called Ntbtlog.txt will be created in the %systemroot% directory. The log file may be able to help lead you in a direction in which to look regarding your slow boot problems. This is only used for troubleshooting, as the generated log file will keep increasing in size after each subsequent reboot...so make sure to uncheck the /BOOTLOG option after you determine you don't need to continue logging.

How to perform clean-boot troubleshooting for Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281770/en-us

Back