• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32bit / 64bit XP?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I heard some rumours about 64bit Windows XP? How do I check my copy and find out what it is?

Does this mean that for dual core (I have the Opty 165) 64bit CPU's you must use the 64bit version of Windows to get the most (or anything) out of it?

Basically, I am asking how to get the most out of my Opty dual core 64bit CPU on a XP platform before Vista (or whatever its gonna be called) comes out?

Is this just a driver issue? Or a completely new install?

yes there is a 64bit version of windows. I believe you have to buy it, although I did get one when I bought another copy of XP pro from my school. You won't get any advantages over the 32bit version expect headaches trying to get drivers. Its a completely new install, and I would say don't bother, I would go linux first (that's what I did)

I installed xp pro 64 bit, works fine, just some programs aren't compatible, the only game I've found so far that doesn't work is Area 51, but i already beat it on my other system so it didn't really matter. I found drivers for all my hardware.

The 64-bit XP is a OS in itself, sorta. It's a different variation of Windows XP Pro, except it's called Windows XP Pro x64. You have to buy that verison of Windows, there's no install or update for it.

Most reviews show very little performance increase in getting XP x64 over Pro. You rather stay with Pro and have less problems. There are some compatbility issues with drivers and software on XP X64, some people make through it without problems, but there's still a higher chance of problems on that then the XP Pro.

i found 64 bit to be a bit more snappy and a tad more acceptable to overclocks.

drivers are an issue but nothing to what they were.

and dang where have you been ? you just now heard of 64 bit xp...

I tried xp pro 64 on my last a64 rig... well i couldn't find drivers for 1/2 my stuff. Make sure you check your computer hardwares sites for drivers before you make the switch.

Ok, I figured as much, but as for my 32bit version, are there any drivers or anything I need for it to fully use my dual core Opty?

WinXP dual-core hotfix??
AMD XP driver?

Back