• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What video player that doesn't contain spyware??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimGreen

Registered
This question may have been asked before, but recently I downloaded and installed the new Microsoft video player. Immediately Zonealarm started warning me that it was trying to connect to various sites. Sounds like spyware to me. I immediately un-installed it.

Could a ny of you recommend a good video player that just plays the various video file formats without trying to compromise my computer? TIA for your help.

I wouldn't say WMP was spyware, it just likes to pull information for various websites. (Updates, loads webpage, check titles, etc)

You'll want to download VLC. Not only is it multi-platform, it also plays virtually any video format including dvd.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Thanks for your reply. But I consider anything that "likes to pull information for various websites" is spyware. I guess I'm sort of a nut about security ever since I contratced a virus about 8-9 years ago that trashed my hard drive. I'll try VLC..Thanks again.

Media Player Classic and Video Lan Player must be what you're looking for.

Doesn't divx player install that "gator" spyware?
A spyware scan should have the answer :)

I recommend ZoomPlayer or Media Player Classic, both are reliable lightweight players.

ive never had any experience with gator spyware when installing divx. divx has a good interface, but its too bad it doesnt play everything.

Back