• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ecc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

o770

the mem ECC setting in my BIOS has an option called "EC only". what is it? what is the difference between ECC and EC only?
also, when i enable ECC right after the post the computer locks up showing some information about the memory - addresses and some other stuff i cant reproduce here. does anyone know what its happening?
thanks.

ECC is for Error Correction Coded memory only so if you don't have ECC installed on your motherboard, you need to turn that off.

As far as why your BIOS only shows EC instead of ECC, I don't know unless someone was too lazy to type another "C" in there.

The display you are getting is probably your PC doesn't like the fact you have ECC enabled with non-ECC memory (assuming you don't have it). This is why you need to turn it off.

EDIT:

Just noticed your signature states you do have registered ECC memory in which case I'm unsure of the problem. I would still try turning ECC off and see where you stand. May be a faulty module.

i have ECC memory (my signature) and there r three options for it into the BIOS: non-ECC, ECC and EC only. how does the "EC only" work?

i found some information: ECC stands for Error Checking and Correction; "only EC" could be then just checking for errors but not correcting them.

ECC memory is memory with Error Correction Code built in. EC is Error Checking.

ECC will detect and correct 1-bit errors. It will halt on 2-bit errors.

EC will only detect, but not fix any errors.

I'm still stumped on your problem though. I'm trying to figure it out. Only experience I have with ECC is at work and I've never had a problem out of it.

could it be a BIOS issue?

its a fresh new memory, just got today - id like to be sure about it cuz if its a memory problem im going to change it for a newer one.

If you just got it today it could possibly be a compatibility issue. I'm not familiar with your board so are you positive it accepts registered ECC memory?

Hopefully someone can jump in that knows more about that board than I do in the meantime.

im going to take a look at its manual but once there is the option for the memory parity with ECC enabling option it must have no problem supporting it. ive never seen this BIOS setting before installing the new memory module, it only became available with the ECC mem installed.

Can one stick of memory with ecc be used with another stick of memory without it without a stability problem if it is turned off in the bios?
Mike

Back