• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternate X64 ATI drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomatosaurus[RE

Hello,

Been using X64 a week or so now, slowly Im getting around the oddities, but there still is a few ones to be straightened out. :)

Mobo/CPU/VGA card combo per my signature.

My problem is that Im not getting expected performance from the VGA card. CPU running at 2.6 Ghz, VGA card at 550/500 should be getting more than 8000 points in 3dmark03 I think. Some games lag abit more than they did with the 3400+ I had before.

It looks like the system doesnt really recognize the VGA card correctly, I have 2 additional unknown units in the device manager above the 2 that are already installed. Also, during on point of the installation of the card, it was suddenly recognized as "standard VGA adapter". Now its only recognized as "X800 series" instead of "X800 XT PE" as it was under XP 32-bit. ATI tool says its an: AGP device 0x4A50 :-/

So, maybe, the drivers arent working correcly and Im getting bad results beacuse of that. I reinstalled & uninstalled the driver several times, removed the card from the device manager etc. Using latest official X64 radeon driver downloaded from ATI.

Anyone have any input in this matter it would be appreciated highly.

Thanks.

Mail who, ATI? Ive been trying to google around this matter alot, and reinstalled again, but still no luck. :(

The x64 version of XP includes native support for the X800 XT PE. Before uninstalling the native drivers to install the newest v5.13 ATI drivers, did any device conflicts show up in Device Manager?
I have 2 additional unknown units in the device manager above the 2 that are already installed
What are the two devices that are showing up as "Unknown" in Device Manager? When installing the newest ATI drivers, it's unnecessary to uninstall the native XP drivers... you only need to "Update" the drivers from Device Manager. This way you can use the "Roll Back" function to revert to the previously installed drivers if necessary.

Thankyou my friend, I didnt come to think of choosing from the list. I uninstalled all ATI drivers and then from the device manager aswell. After I got it cleaned up I choosed the x800XT PE from the list. It warned me all the way for the possibility of incompatible driver but the result is crystal clear: 13564 3dmark03 points instead of about 8000 and much smoother and better picture quality in FEAR atleast!

The 2 unknown devices are still there, they read as display devices but I leave them unistalled as the system works fine for now!

:)

Back