• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok I tried that, this is what I got

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\kiaconcepts>Netsh winsock reset

WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [XINTENSEX]. Some comma
nds may not be available.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.

C:\Documents and Settings\kiaconcepts>

If after you restarted you're still receiving the error message... Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Check and make sure the "Startup type" for the following three services is set to "Manual"...

Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Telephony

redduc900 said:
If after you restarted you're still receiving the error message... Start | Run | Type services.msc, and click OK | Check and make sure the "Startup type" for the following three services is set to "Manual"...

Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Telephony

Ok Remote Access Connection Manager is set to manual and started,
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager is also set to manual but when I try to start the service I get a 1717 error, and Telephony is started no error??

Last edited:
Try this automated Edit (disregard the name of the edit)...

Dial-Up Modem or PPPoE is Unavailable (Line 87)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Save the edit, double click it to merge it into the Registry, and answer YES to the import prompt. You can view the *.reg file by opening it in Notepad (right click the file and select "Edit").

redduc900 said:
Try this automated Edit (disregard the name of the edit)...

Dial-Up Modem or PPPoE is Unavailable (Line 87)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Save the edit, double click it to merge it into the Registry, and answer YES to the import prompt. You can view the *.reg file by opening it in Notepad (right click the file and select "Edit").

Ok I will try this, keep my fingers crossed, brb :shrug:

Didnt work, Damn it, thats why I want to install a second Win Xp OS on main drive, which is a raptor?

Two more things for you to check in Services... make sure Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is set to "Automatic" and started, and Network Connections is set to "Manual" and started.

redduc900 said:
Two more things for you to check in Services... make sure Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is set to "Automatic" and started, and Network Connections is set to "Manual" and started.

Ok I try to start Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) but I get an 1068 error? And Network connections is started? :bang head :bang head

Give this a try (even though WMI is stopped, type the first command anyway)... open the Command Prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK), and type:

net stop winmgmt

... then delete the files in the %sytemroot%\System32\wbem\repository directory. After you delete the files, go back to the Command Prompt and type...

net start winmgmt

Last edited:
redduc900 said:
Give this a try (even though WMI is stopped, type the first command anyway)... open the Command Prompt (Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK), and type:

net stop winmgmt

... then delete the %sytemroot%\System32\wbem\repository directory. After you delete the repository directory, go back to the Command Prompt and type...

net start winmgmt

Ok I type net stop winmgmt in the cmd and I get that 1068 error, do you still want me to delete that directory?

Before deleting the files in the repository directory, give this a try... open the Command Prompt, and type the following commands (hitting ENTER after each):

winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

This may or may not repair the repository but will re-install WMI into the Registry. Make sure to reboot after running the above commands. If that fails, then delete all the files contaned within the repository folder, and reboot (Windows will rebuild the directory upon reboot).

redduc900 said:
Before deleting the files in the repository directory, give this a try... open the Command Prompt, and type the following commands (hitting ENTER after each):

winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

This may or may not repair the repository but will re-install WMI into the Registry. Make sure to reboot after running the above commands. If that fails, then delete all the files contaned within the repository folder, and reboot (Windows will rebuild the directory upon reboot).

Ok I will try that, Thanks

YOu can try this, it has worked for me in the past, found at a different forum:

First, back up your registry:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor, click File > Export.
5. Make sure that "All Keys" are selected for export, give the file a name, and click Save. Make sure you note where the file is being saved to. Then, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "cmd" (without the quotes) in the box and click Ok.
4. At the prompt, type (pressing Enter after each line):

REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "Netman"

5. Reboot. Now, attempt to turn off your firewall.

If this doesn't work, locate the registry backup we made earlier, double-click on it, and merge it back into your current registry. This will return your system to its original state.

nikhsub1 said:
YOu can try this, it has worked for me in the past, found at a different forum:

First, back up your registry:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor, click File > Export.
5. Make sure that "All Keys" are selected for export, give the file a name, and click Save. Make sure you note where the file is being saved to. Then, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "cmd" (without the quotes) in the box and click Ok.
4. At the prompt, type (pressing Enter after each line):

REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "Netman"

5. Reboot. Now, attempt to turn off your firewall.

If this doesn't work, locate the registry backup we made earlier, double-click on it, and merge it back into your current registry. This will return your system to its original state.

Yeah great That worked, Thanks both of you for the help:)

Back