• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on accounts...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

I'm going to reformat my PC this week (XP Home). I want to do it right this time...

I've read that you should create a passworded admin account, and another account for your usage. What are the benefits of this? I'm the only user of this computer, besides my GF occasionally checking her email.

If I do set it up like this, when I install programs, do I 'install for all users'? Do I install in my account, or admin? When I scan for spyware, do I do it under the admin account?

Is the passworded admin account solely to protect your computer from people physically in the room of the computer, or does it protect it from internet/network sources too?

I don't want to go through the trouble unless I really should...

i personally wouldnt bother. there is no need in my eyes to ave two seperate accounts unless you dont trust yourself.

The thought process is to not run with admin priviledges all the time unless you need to. Many malicious programs are installed because of this reason. It's to protect people from themselves sometimes. Reason this is coming around is because of the way viruses/worms spread without user interaction anymore; just a simple connection to the internet and lack of protection (firewall/up-to-date AV) can cause a PC to be infected.

The less time you run with Admin privelages, the less chance there is to damage your computer ('tis the way I see it). Linux machines by default tend to have a root account and one or more user accounts. Only the downright foolish users will run as root all the time.

If you are going to use a password for your account make sure it is a stong password. A crappy password is worse then having no password at all.

The people that recommend setting up a seperate account are probably refering to making a limited account for security reasons. Under a limited account software cannot be installed (including many malware).

Xtreme Barton said:
i disagree obviously..... ive ran nothing but that and my pc is fine ...

It's very easy to break stuff which is why running as root is strongly recommended ONLY when needed (updating system software etc).

But... your PC. Do as you please.

oh i hear ya .. and im not arguing.. very valid point.. im just saying becareful and take precautions on keeping your computer safe from your self and others and shouldnt have anything to worry about...

Back