• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I Delete These MSN Folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

There's 3 folders in Program Files MSN, MSN Gaming Zone & Messenger now I know Messenger is for Windows Messenger. But I use MSN Messenger 7.5 I don't want to delete it and cause my system to be unstable if I try to delete MSN is comes up with a notice. Saying that if you rename, move or delete MSN this will cause some program not to work.

MSN Gaming Zone tries to delete but won't just want to ask can I delete any of these if not what the hell are they for.

I don't know, the way I look at it, as long as it doesn't take up too much room, and doesn't run in the background, leave it.

The MSN Gaming Zone folder is part of the Internet based games that MS delivers with XP. Internet Backgammon, Checkers, Hearts, Reversi and Spades all require the files in the Gaming Zone folder. The games are considered to be protected system files, and therefore the Gaming Zone folder can't be deleted.

You can remove MSN Explorer (contained within the MSN folder) by unchecking the option in Control Panel --> Add\Remove Programs --> Windows Components.

If you decide that you want to remove MSN Messenger... Start | Run | Type...

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

... or you could download and run the *.vbs script available from Doug Knox's site here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

Last edited:
I've removed msn Messenger as I don't use it. Try this:
Control Panel > Add-Remove programs>Add-remove Windows components

Edit* woops, already posted above :)

That's for Windows Messenger it dosn't fully remove it just the shortcut icons you still have MESSENGER as a folder in Program Files. MSN Messenger has it's own folder too I was thinking that MESSENGER ment Windows Messenger. I removed the internet games and just kept the standard versions on.

Back