• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boule

Registered
Part I:
I downloaded 2 themes for my windows XP: Vista inspirate and alienware darkstare. I want to use vista with some icons from darkstar. The main thing I want to change are the folders, and maybe the HDDs. I can't locate the darkstar icons when I installed the theme. Any idea where they are stored ?
Once they are found, how can I set them for the folders ?

Part II:
While trying to achieve Part I, I ended up in Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File types. There I found 2 types: Folders and File Folders. They change Icon is shaded for the folders. I changed the icon of the file folders to see what will happen. The default action for file folders was set to search. When I changed the icon, everytime I tried to open a folder, it would open the search window. I created a new command, called it open, with the command "explorer.exe". Since then it opens a folder in a new window, regardless if I chose "browse in the same window" in tools -> folder options. I'm really tempted to reformat, it's driving me crazy !!

Any ideas ?

It only changes the icon of the specific folder, I want to change it for all folders (make it the default icon folder)

Download and run the script from Doug Knox's site here...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

This script changes the default value of:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Directory | shell and...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Drive | shell

...to read none. You could also try re-registering shell32.dll (Start | Run | Type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll, and click OK).

Then download TweakUI for XP from MS here...

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

... and rebuild the icons. Open TweakUI --> Repair --> "Rebuild Icons" --> "Repair Now" button.
I can't locate the darkstar icons when I installed the theme. Any idea where they are stored ?
The icons are probably stored within a *.dll, which is part of the theme you installed, and located in the Themes directory.

Thx fror your help, I'll try that tonight.

If the icons are located in a dll file, how can I "extract" them to apply them to my folders ?

When you "Browse" for the *.ico file, you'll need to specify the particular *.dll that contains the icons. The file that contains the icons may also be an *.exe, but without knowing for sure... you'll just have to browse each one individually. I'd probably reset everything back to default for the time being, including applying the default theme and file associations, then try reinstalling one of the themes you downloaded.

It seems that the icons are in Darkstar.icl (or maybe Darkstar.iptheme?)
How can I browse those ?

Thaux a lot for the shell32 command, it worked like a charm :)

Ok, thx...
I downloaded IconPackager, and it seems I can do everything from here.
Thanks a lot for your help

Back