• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water block for 8rda+ ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Swiftech (Apogee/Storm) series blocks all carry a universal mounting system. If you have the cash go for the storm!

Check out my Link in my sig, it is a 8RDA3I, which is basically the same layout as the 8RDA+.

If you are talking about the NB though, the dangerden MAZE4 NB blocks looks nice and they are not that restrictive. I personally modded an old Volcano6cu+ to my NB.

Thanks for that reply. The "Universal" mounting plate for the Apogee, which I aready bought, does indeed have holes that are exactly aligned up with the holes on my 8rda+, however , that mounting plate is so big that the capacitors on the board are too close and it can't be done. It is the same on my A7N8X as well. The Apogee is such a cool looking block it is ashame I have to toss it in my pencil drawer until I upgrade to a Athlon 64 system.
I'll probably go with a TDX, it looks like it will have the clearance I need.

Last edited:
you good with woodworking, or even metal or plastic? if so with some work you could always bould spacer plates to raise the mount of the apogee up to higher thanthe caps, and use unusually long bolts and stuff to mount it all. and youd just have one silly lookin block there, but effective nonetheless. or theres the possibility of relocating caps or putting in ones with longer leads and jsut let them sit off to the side (i would heat shrink the exposed leads and glue the caps in place)

just some ideas.

Thanks for the suggestion, too much work for me. Money is no object so I'll just buy a TDX and be done with it. I guess my gripe would be towards Swiftech and the marketing and advertising. There needs to be better descriptions and pehaps more detailed MB compatibility charts or something more than ,"The Apogee can be used exclusively with motherboards featuring the 4 mounting holes around the socket." It is as much about the MB as it is the chip. Duhhh!!!

Attachments

• pic 003.jpg
    pic 003.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Really. I guess that is why I originallly started this post. I know Socket A is not garnering too much attention anymore but I thought someone out there has successfully WC'd a socket A reference board.

I'll be getting either the 355 or the 655. Was going to get the 655 for sure but this chip runs so cool that a 355 may be enough. I am really going for about 100, maybe 200 more Mhz, but my main desire is quiteness, and when I hang the panels back on the case I am sure the aircooled Volcano will need to be cranked up too high for my listening pleasure.

Last edited:
Back