• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a reef tank water cooling/pumping devices - advisable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Hey guys,

I'm rather new to the whole water cooling thing, seeing how I just started to water cool my PC a few hours ago with the Zalman Reserator 1.

Furthermore, reading into this subject sparked a question - how about using my reef tank devices to power the water cooling system in my PC?

I have a water cooler in my reef tank that keeps the water temperature at 78 degrees year round. With the metal halide system I have, it REALLY heats up the water, so having a water cooler is vital.

Also I have a few spare pumps laying around that I used to use for water circulation - however they are rated somewhat high. I believe that Zalman pump is rated at 75 gph because it says 300 l/h so thats 75. My reef pumps are ~ 600 Gph. Having this much energy and force, I can probably wire my hoses from my garage, through the AC vent in the ceiling and still have power left over to water my lawn.

All kidding aside, is it safe? That is to use my water cooler and reef pumps for the PC.

you are thinking about removing it from the reef tanks system right?
the blocks will put copper in your tank (goodby inverts) and if not copper other metals to throw off your reef tanks chemistry, sorry Im kinda a fish tank geek..

If it is just for the computer.. the flow could be handled with a bypass at the blocks (from the input to the output of the block so extra flow could "bypass" the block) and your chiller would need to be dialed in to the heat load (and that would depend on if it has enough capasity to do so) most chillers for reef tanks are around the 1/5 HP range.. most chiller's Ive seen for computers are in the 1/2 HP range.. getting a drift of this equasion.. not enough cooling capasity most likely..

this is kinda a phase change extream cooling type question..
and your thinking water temps.. a good rad would likely do better then a 1/5 HP aquarium chiller tuned for the heat load of a reef tank..

that's what the going wisdom is on the subject is.. but if your running 500watts of MH, a big closed loop pump, and a ASM G6 and keeping your temps down to 78F then that puppy might be up to snuff.. :D

hope this helps.. :D

Back