• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winsock problem with DLL...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

Has anyone had a problem with this dll named ws2_32.dll . Read it had to do with winsocket, but not sure and I keep getting random, but not daily errors by this using firefox, which then breaks other internet base programs to crash. It goes back to normal after a reboot though. Anyone had this happen to them before or any ideas where I can start fixing this problem.

dja2k

You could also try expanding a new copy of the file... Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | "General" tab | Click the "Expand file" button.

File to expand: ws2_32.dll
To: %windir%\system32

... where X is whatever letter is assigned your CD drive (you need your WinXP CD for this), so just change it accordingly. If your system was preinstalled, you may find this instead on the HDD under C:\Windows\I386... if so, change the "From" line accordingly, then reboot when you're finished.

Thanks will try both options and see what happens. But hey redduc900 do you know exactly in what cab the file is located cause I can't just pick the i386
folder.

Also just curious, does a torjan virus attack that dll or not? I mean I can start naming all my security software, but lets just say it would have been mearly impossible for a trojan to have passed my setup.

Note: Today I got a different reaction to that file error. I was using Bitlord and it caused it as well. Then I shut off bitlord and everything went back to normal. I was able to use firefox again like always without restarting like before when that problem appeared.

dja2k

Last edited:
Back