• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to actively cool the Zalman Reserator 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Powered

Hey guys, I'm new to OC'ing so bare with me here.

I picked up a Zalman Reserator 1 and so far it is running smoothly, however I would like the load temp to go down a little bit. Right now it peaks at 56C, and idles at 43-44C.

There is no kinks in the tubing, and the water is warm, 84
Degrees is what my water temp reads.

The CPU block is seated with AS5 so its not the seating or the compound - what else can it be?

I can only imagine that the temperature will go up once I install my VGA block.

What is the next alternative? Stick my radiator in the fridge? Drill a hole and place it outside? Or get a big room fan to blow air on it?

Right now the tubing goes right behind my monitor, where the reservator sits.

Any ideas?

But... like the point of the reserator is to passively water cool your computer. If you want active water cooling, there are better methods. I guess you could try all those things you mentioned, but I don't think they will be as effective as someone with an active radiator setup. What are your ambients?

screw open the top of the res. and put a fan there.

Make sure you place the res. in a cool place.

Or just buy a radiator.

But... like the point of the reserator is to passively water cool your computer. If you want active water cooling, there are better methods. I guess you could try all those things you mentioned, but I don't think they will be as effective as someone with an active radiator setup. What are your ambients?
Indeed. The point of a Zalman is to not have a fan. It's not the kind of design that would really show significant improvement from a fan, though I guess that would help. The only thing I can think of is a desk fan or something.

I hate to say it but the whole point of the reservator is to go passive. If you want to go active, you would be better off getting a BIPII or so and using some low cfm quiet fans. Othewise, the desk fan is probably your best bet, but to be sure that is going to add a lot of noise, while using a BIP with low cfm fans is very quiet.

monitors put off a lot of heat and could be warming the tubes, I'd try rerouting it. I dont think you can use ice because it will clog up the lines? or the outlets? need to ask somebody else on that one, otherwise for testing purpouses I also vote for pointing a fan down the top or zip tying a couple 80mm fans to the heatsink on the outside of the zalman tube

loxspread said:
Here are photos of the Reserator from the CES 2006. It doesn't say whether it's an upgrade or not...

I don't see the fan option on their site. Either I figure a way to actively cool this unit, or I'm going to return it.

The fan on the website in the above link looks like the ticket I'm looking for. I'm going to email Zalman.

Back