• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rysjimmy1994

I am finally going to be switching over to watercooling and I was wondering if I should water cool the northbridge as well as the cpu. Also I might have some clearance issues with my Lanparty Ultra-D. As always any suggestions will be helpful!

Northbridges don't tend to put off so much heat, so you could get away with fitting a large passive heatsink to it, and see how the temps go. The gentle airflow through the case should be enough to keep it cool. Fitting a NB waterblock will, however, add extra resistance for the water to go through, which will have the effect of slightly reducing the cooling power to the real heat monsters - your CPU and GPU.

My suggestion is to fit a large heatsink to the northbridge, and possibly use a very low-power fan to keep air moving over it.

Hey,

I asked that same question, You don't have to cool your northbridge if you don't want to, It souled be fine as is if your not having any problems right now with it. The CPU is somewhat the point of getting water cooling to take down noise and heat. For the northbridge its your call if your looking to save money then don't do it.

Back