• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why would anyone use 5/8" OD tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brinnswift

I recently added on the maze4 to my loop and I bought some new tubing for it. I had tygon 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD and I was extremely happy with the results. Well I was at frozencpu and I bought some 1/2" ID 5/8" OD accidently. I noticed it but I didn't think much of it since it was going to cover a fairly straight part of my loop (no pun intended) Well when I got this stuff I was shocked at how EASILY it kinked. Even the most small turns kinked the tubing all the way through. It doesnt really effect anything since I postitioned it well but still, I can't begin to imaging trying to do a whole loop with this stuff. Is there any reason to buy this over 5/8"???

Wow, I use Materkleer 7/16"ID with and OD of 5/8" and it has worked fine for me. I have not had any problems. Maybe it is that particular tubing that is bad?

Alchemy1 said:
Wow, I use Materkleer 7/16"ID with and OD of 5/8" and it has worked fine for me. I have not had any problems..........

Alchemy1, Are you running that on 1/2 inch id fittings ? Boil and press on ?

I actually find 5/8" OD tubing easier to work with than 3/4" OD tubing. As long as you route with the natural bend of the tubing, you should have too many kinking problems. I just put a clamp or two around the problem areas if I've set it up incorrectly.

glasslicker said:
I didn't even need to heat the tubing to get 7/16 over 1/2 barbs.

7/16 with 5/8 OD has thicker walls than 1/2 with 5/8 OD, so thats why you haven't had any problems Alchemy1.

glasslicker said:

I used some water to make it easier to put the tubing on my 1/2" barbs. I probably could have gotten it on without it, but it was really tough.

citronym said:
7/16 with 5/8 OD has thicker walls than 1/2 with 5/8 OD, so thats why you haven't had any problems Alchemy1.

You are correct, but I didn't think a 16th would matter that much?

I am not nuts about 1/2" ID - 5/8" OD tubing because the walls are so thin....almost seems flimsy BUT if someone absolutely wanted to keep true to 1/2" ID and either had straight runs or was using Coolsleeves for the bends it shouldnt kink. It would also be much easier to bend than the more traditional 3/4" OD tubing.

1/2 ID 5/8 OD is a lil too thin for most people, but 7/16 ID 5/8 OD works really well. if you want to use 1/2 ID, i would say stick to 3/4 OD. Tygon is pretty flexible, with large tubing like 1/2 ID you usually wanna stick with thicker walls especially if you are going to have alot of bends.

I got it and its fine for me, it does kink easily. If you have problems with that you can get the coolslevels or that spiral rap stuff to make it better

Back