• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NTLDR fix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeyLikesItSI

My boss has a dell a844n with an asus mobo (915 chipset) and a 630 CPU.

he had a power surge at his house which took at a TV and his computer. I tested all components, finding only the mobo to be bad, I replaced the motherboard with a Foxconn 915 chipset board (he wanted cheapest route back to recovery)

Assembled everything and came up with this from the SATA 250gb drive.

"Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR: Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)"

I put the harddrive in another computer and found all the information still on it and the drive reads/writes fine. I tried running the recovery console and using FIXMBR and FIXBOOT neither worked. what else can i do?

When you put it in another pc was it a slave drive or did you successfully boot its os? If you couldn't get to windows, try repairing the installation.

no, it didn't boot to the OS. The HD is the only SATA drive in the computer. When i mounted an IDE drive with an OS in the system i could boot to that, and see the contents on the SATA drive...... if i took that IDE drive back out and tried to use the XP (upgrade) cd to re-install (repair), it said that it could not find an installation of windows and to please insert a disk with a qualifying version to upgrade from.

I did get the drivers for the controller off of the CD and put them on a floppy and loaded them too, but it didn't change anything.

Ok i just found this linky tho if it actually works i dont know i just re-install so your using this method at your own risk!!!!

Back