• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What screws are you using on your radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

96s10

I'm in need of some loooooooong screws to hold the fans to my radiator. I had some old threaded rod stuff left that I got with my old TDX and used those (hold down things).

What are you guys using? It's really skinny stuff.

I haven't check yet but I am sure the local Home Depot or Lowes would have to have some similar hardware. I too though will be looking for something similar in the very near future and would probably be asking the same thing.

I just went to home depot. It's either size 4,6,8, which is kind of a big range, but it's either one of those. I think I also used like 1/2" or 3/4" length. Just bring your radiator with you whenever you go there, you might see someone that knows what you're doing, and that would be pretty cool. But just take it with you, and it should be easy to find what you need. If you're a home depot n00b, don't be afraid to open the packages and try stuff out. The workers don't care...

Herr Rogers said:
If you're a home depot n00b, don't be afraid to open the packages and try stuff out. The workers don't care...

That is very true. Taking you hardware with you will save you from multiple return trips.

I assume you mean the BIX.2?

6/32in works best, but the factory holes are self-tapping.

For EverCool Aluminum 120's: 1.5in Long was overkill, had to use (3) #6 washers as spacers so the RAD didn't get chewed up.

For Sanyo Denki 120's
: 2in Long was WAY over kill, but 1.5in was way short. Had to use (5) #6 washers this time.

Both purchased at HomeDepot in Hardware section. 6/32in @ 1.5 or 2in Long.

Yep, #6 32 worked for me. I ordered some allen-head screws from McMaster so they weren't quite so ugly. That, and I hate slotted-head screws anyway. That's all that was available at HD.

I'm using some screws that came with my storm block to connect my 120x38 (i think?) fans to my radiator. Worked out really good.

Kind of a newb question, but do you actually thread the bolts through your fans then through the radiator? Is there a possibility of damaging the radiator? I started to thread bolts through the radiator but it seems too small, maybe I just need a smaller bolt.

I tapped the holes on my Bix 3 with a 6-32 Tap. The holes come from the factory the perfect size. I got about one thread on it but it is enough to tightened the fans screws down. (If you do this, Don't overtighten or you will strip it but you can get them good and snug) I used 6-32 buttonhead capscrews 1/2" long they are a tiny bit too long 3/8" would have been perfect.

A pic

BIX3RadDone.JPG

As long as you dont rupture the Rad itself, and the Fin broke clean from the Channel,then you should be ok. Leak test to be on the safe side.

I used a simple radiator mounting kit from a local auto store. It's kinda like a zip tie thingy with foam pads on one end and a round snap clip on the other. Works very well.

I have also ripped off a fin from my rad, no harm done. Don't stress about it, but watch for leaks for 24 hours. Might even put a paper towel underneath the rad and check it for dryness. If there is a leak, it will likely be a tiny hole that will drip slowly.

I mounted the fans to my radiator (25MM thick.. rated at least, these evercool fans suck and are 122MM wide so I'd imagine they screwed up on the thickness too) using 1 1/2" 6-32 machine screws. They wind up only a few MM from the fans on my BIP3.

Rad isnt mounted to my case so I cant say anything for that (need to make / find a mounting bracket sometime.. its on the top of my case :D)

96s10 said:
I'm in need of some loooooooong screws to hold the fans to my radiator. I had some old threaded rod stuff left that I got with my old TDX and used those (hold down things).

What are you guys using? It's really skinny stuff.

I use very long Plastic/Nylon screws and bolts, Ace Harware is your one stop shop for nuts and bolts, they usually have a better selection that Home Depot.

Tell you a neat trick as well, if you buy some Extra long Zip ties and cut the fastener off one of the Zip ties, then use the cut off end to secure the fan, these are excellent to affix fans as well, you can get them very tight, and they wont move.

Back