• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Electrical ID10T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

my054runner

I am an electrical idiot and I know someone here knows this. I have a two pump system that, thanks to a busted part, I am redesigning from the gound up. What I want to do is have one pump start up with the system and the other pump controlled by a switch. I would also like this switch to control some UV lights that I haven't found yet.

I have the case in the sig and basically what I would like to do is put the lights in the front of the case and have it shine through the mesh. So in a nutshell I am looking for bight blue lighting (as bright as possible) and a switch to control that and a d5 pump and how to wire it up. Money is not an issue with this build so sky is the limit. I think that will complement my pc nicely but I dont know how safe or realistic this is. Thanks.

[EDIT]
This looks promising 12'' Cold Cathode. On the swith though, there are just pins sticking out. How do I keep them from being connected by mistake? Would I use something like these Spade Connectors?Also, I wanted to use this switch Blue LED Switch

Last edited:
That LED switch is a momentary pushbutton like for a doorbell. For it to stay on, you'll have to sit there and hold it down. Nearly any switch that isn't advertised as "momentary" will work for what you want to do. If you just want an on off switch, make sure it says "on off" or "single throw", otherwise you will have switch positions that don't do anything and more than two terminals to figure out.

It would be best to solder the wires to the terminals on the switch. If you don't want to solder, get a switch with screw terminals. You'll also need one male and one female molex conector, which you might have already wired to eachother to form an extension or as part of an adapter.

You can just plug the first D5 into one of your PSU's molex connectors.

You want the switch on the 12v (yellow) wire between your new molex connectors. If you have the connectors already wired together, just cut the yellow wire halfway and connect one end to each terminal of your switch.

If you bought them separately, look and see which side the yellow wire comes out of the molex connectors on your PSU and pump. Then wire the corresponding pins on your new connectors to the terminals of the switch. Next run a wire directly form one molex connector to the other, connecting the pins adjacent to the ones you wired to the switch. The other pins (for the red wire and other black wire) are for 5V, so you can just ignore those.

Plug the male molex into your PSU, then plug the pump into the female molex, and plug the light into the female molex from the pump (daisy chain). The pump and light will go on and off together.

Simple enough?

Last edited:
Back