• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PVC Reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

opsed121

Registered
After reading countless hours deciding on which components to use in my WC rig I was a bit unsettled on the reservoir mostly because of the numerous times I read that they leaked. I decided to go with a fill tube until, I read this. Sounds like a leak proof and cheap setup. Worth considering if on a budget. I have worked with PVC on sprinkler systems and I can say that once you set the PVC glue it is leak proof.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/pvc_pipe_reservoir.php

Last edited:
aside form not being able to see inside of it, looks like it would work. i'd point the inlets and outlets down though to make sure there is always fluid comming out, even if your water level where to drop for some reason.

just a quick question is cool-cases-usa a reliable website? i can't find em on resellerratings.com

I have dealt with them a couple times with no problems. Quick warning however- that clear reservoir is pretty small. It works fine (it was one of the two things I purchased from them) but is smaller than I had originally been planning on.

I am currently doing something like the linked article but went for a little extra 'bling'. My tube is a 12" long X 3-1/2" OD extruded Acrylic tube and my end 'caps' are ABS. Basically it gives me one friggin big, clear, and easy to fill reservoir. I am currently trying to find a 23/32 drill bit in order to drill, then tap for my barbs. I am attaching the barbs directly to the primary tube. When finished its going to be externally mounted for visual checks for coolant level drops. In all honesty its just about as easy as the one in the article. Bought the tube pre-cut, caps and barbs from a local hardware store. The only thing I really need to do is epoxy (marine type) the caps onto the tube, drill, and tap and its pretty much done. Will post some pics if the danged bit ever comes in.

Kicker being for that extra size and bling mine ran about $18 assuming you have the tools to finish it.

Should work building a PVC one your self. Just use losts of thread sealent, and pressure test it (fill it with water, and put 40pounds of compressed on it or something like that).

You don't need to pressure test PVC. If you prime and glue it, PVC won't leak. I made two reservoirs pretty close to that for two computers that I watercooled for a friend of mine and they have been working great for about the last 6 months. I made mine longer though for him because he is not very proactive at checking water levels. You can come off of the bottom side and top side with two 90 elbows and a clear piece of tubing between so that you can see the water level in the clear piece of tubing.

PVC is the best, glue it directly to the pump input for best performance. Centrifical pumps love running with no input restrictions, ie, res directly on the input.

to the op if you arnt concerned about astetics then PCV is DEFINATELY the way to go

its cheep easy to use easy to find and you have more gluing options and are less likely to have leaks ( because oyu can use more glue and you dont care if the joints look glued)

ls7corvete said:
PVC is the best, glue it directly to the pump input for best performance. Centrifical pumps love running with no input restrictions, ie, res directly on the input.

I wouldnt glue it directly to the pump in case your needs change later in either the pump or the res. I've found that there's a fitting used in installing dishwashers that, with a little modding, works perfectly. Its the light grey stub in the pictures.

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 79
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back