• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my pump suppose to run this warm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZNBoiOnFIYA

its an eheim 1250 and ive been leak testing for the past week and noticed that the water passing through my loop is very warm. its gotten to the point where some of the water condenses, like when youre boiling something. is the pump suppose to dump this much heat or is something wrong with it?

If you're not running fans on the rad then the heat from the pump has nowhere to go other than to just build up inside the loop (other than what little heat is dissipated passively).

Still tho, the pump shouldn't run THAT hot. And with a rad in the loop even passive cooling should be able to keep the pump within a few degrees of room temperature at the most. Sounds to me like the pump might be faulty to me.

My 1250 got the water reasonably warm after 12 hours, and a bit warmer than that after all 24+ hours of testing. It got warm enough that I felt it though my tubing. Another thing is, water evaporates very easy inside the tline so even if you had no pump running it would start condensing on the sides of the tubing.

Bad Maniac said:
Still tho, the pump shouldn't run THAT hot. And with a rad in the loop even passive cooling should be able to keep the pump within a few degrees of room temperature at the most. Sounds to me like the pump might be faulty to me.

Try sticking your tounge out in cold weather, with no wind. Watch the steam come off your tounge and think about how fast that steam is moving compared to if you used a fan. That's basicly what passive cooling is like in a WC system, it's not smart at all. Plus, what it's doing is continuously dumping heat, the pump won't go to a certain temperature, it will keep on going up (to a degree) because it's just making itself hotter and hotter via the warm water.

The air inside the system will be near 100% humidity, hence even a few degrees cooling can cause condensation. It doesn't mean you're anywhere near the boiling point. It's just that the tubing is easily cooled to below the dew point.

That said, I wouldn't expect any part of your system to get hot to the touch unless something is very wrong.

Back