• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting back into the game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChillPhatCat

Well this is my first post in over a year I think, I was doing some serious overclocking back in the Athlon XP Mobile days, I had it water cooled, DFI board etc. Anyhow, the old water setup was a Chevy Caprice Heater Core, 2x 120mm fans side by side, Maze 3 water block, Mag 3 pump, 3/8" ID tubing no reservoir, closed loop system. I went socket 754 A64 shortly before I stopped posting here and it's time to step up to a Socket 939 and PCI express, I'm probably going to stick this all in a Super Lanboy if possible.

My real question is if the old watercooling setup (with new water block) can handle the newer processors on the market, especially X2 chips. I am under the impression that they tend to run cooler these days and that it will be no problem. I still have all of the original setup.

will you be cooling the video card as well? The heatcore would be the only thing i would keep. I would upgrade cpu block, pump (esp if you decide to cool gpu card), and if possible, upgrade to 1/2 tubing.

I would stick with what you got. If you cheat a bit you dont even need mounting hardware for the maze3. plenty of power from the mag, plenty of cooling from the caprice. Getting a caprice in a lanboy will be tough though, size is my only concern.

You will be amazed how well your system keeps up.

Not going to cool the video card... and I'm pretty sure the tubing is actually 1/2" now that I think of it, I went with the larger of the two options back then... 3/8 sounded too small. So you think I need more than 350 GPh and 10 feet of head?

ls7corvete said:
I would stick with what you got. If you cheat a bit you dont even need mounting hardware for the maze3. plenty of power from the mag, plenty of cooling from the caprice. Getting a caprice in a lanboy will be tough though, size is my only concern.

You will be amazed how well your system keeps up.

So the mounting holes are the same in the newer boards?

Hey man nice name BTW, I have an old school LS6 in my '74 Camaro :cool:

ChillPhatCat said:
So the mounting holes are the same in the newer boards?

Hey man nice name BTW, I have an old school LS6 in my '74 Camaro :cool:

Man I wouldnt mind one of those. I think ill have to settle for an LT1 though. heh if I had the 14k I would get a nice new LS7 though.

What you do is use the stock plastic black bracket and turn it upside down, the maze should fit perfectly under this bracket, just tighten down the screws.

Attachments

• bah.jpg
    bah.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 57
Back