• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwaki 20-RLT 24/7 or not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekko

got this new setup(photo of it as soon as I can get cam back from bro) with the iwaki 20-RLT and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to let it run constently. And yes it's the MD motor(japanese).

it was pretty good actually. I would of gotten the Z if I could, I looked at pumps for a good 6 months before buying this one at about half price from retail in the clasiffied...Iwaki cost an arm and a leg to get and about the same again to ship to Canada. Between promising my first and second born and getting only 14.1 feet of head it wasn't too hard to choose.

Tekko said:
it was pretty good actually. I would of gotten the Z if I could, I looked at pumps for a good 6 months before buying this one at about half price from retail in the clasiffied...Iwaki cost an arm and a leg to get and about the same again to ship to Canada. Between promising my first and second born and getting only 14.1 feet of head it wasn't too hard to choose.
I keep mine on even when my computer is not. i.e it's on 24/7

Herr Rogers said:
I keep mine on even when my computer is not. i.e it's on 24/7

Do you run your fans when the comp isn't on or just let the heat from the iwaki heat up the loop?

I can keep my computer on and pump off when in windows. CPu idles at around 49C.

(Dont do this much anymore, but it works)

have u had the iwaki running for awhiole yet?

the md-15r gets hot, and i can only assume the md-20 gets even hotter. I use a 120mm fan next to the pump to keep it nice and cool. By doing this my loop temp dropped a couple of degrees when the computer is on and droppped significantly when the computer was off.

The pump will have a longer life if run 24/7 since that is what they are designed for. Turning 120v pumps on and off is bad for them.

nachosyumm said:
have u had the iwaki running for awhiole yet?

the md-15r gets hot, and i can only assume the md-20 gets even hotter. I use a 120mm fan next to the pump to keep it nice and cool. By doing this my loop temp dropped a couple of degrees when the computer is on and droppped significantly when the computer was off.

My -30 gets too hot to touch if I don't keep a fan or two on the casing.

The pump will have a longer life if run 24/7 since that is what they are designed for. Turning 120v pumps on and off is bad for them.

Data for this?

i have spoken to engineers that say the same thing about turning them on and off. not just iwaki but most all pumps they way they are designed the turning on and off causes side to side occilation when it first starts that can wear a pump out. granted it could take a very long time to happen but that is what they say

My 30z is hot too. It is right next to my rads so the air going to them flows over the pump. But with the blower off it gets hot enough to make touching it uncomfortable.

zebkoolindc said:
My 30z is hot too. It is right next to my rads so the air going to them flows over the pump. But with the blower off it gets hot enough to make touching it uncomfortable.

Iwaki's run hot. There have been threads over at procooling where people attached heatsinks to the casing of the motor :D My md20rz is outside of the case and it runs VERY hot with no airflow over it.

well I do have a denki 120mm blowing on it so I got no problem there besides I get great temp one way or an other (27 idle 34 load on both cpu and GPU), turning my rad fans down to 7V only add 2-3C so it's all good..now if I could just find that damn airleak so I can finish bleeding the damn thing...

You shouldn't really worry about how hot the actual pump gets, worry about how much of that heat is going into your water which will be cooling your system. According to Cathar, the md20rlzt is the best pump you can get for watercooling. It gets hot, and probably pumps more heat into the water than the others, but he said the head makes up for it.

Back