• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows locking up right after load screen.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hambone0750

After doing a fresh install on a new seagate drive listed in signature, something od happens. The load screen comes up fine cycles through the load bar a few times then goes to a a screen stating that "Setup is now restarting..." after this the screen goes black, dvd/hard drives both spin up activity lights both flashing for a few minutes, then everything just kind of stops. What should I look at, look for?

Extra info:
All voltages in bios are reading thier correct values.
Everything at stock speeds.
All jumpers set at default positions.
Windows XP sp2

If more info is need let please post what else is needed.

Try hitting F8 or F5 as soon as you get past the BIOS post to boot into the "safe mode" , if that works than is 'probably' a driver issue, and you might be able to find it in the event viewer?

That didn't seem to work I ended up getting the message "Windows could not start up under safe mode, setup is now restarting....". The last event in the event log I could see was mup.sys.

From searching the forums the few suggestions I have found were:
A) Do an xp installation repair.
B) Reformat and reinstall on the drive.

Edit: tried a repair and a reinstall neither seemed to have worked as I am still stuck on that mup.sys

Last edited:
Try resetting the BIOS to Failsafe Defaults or Optimized Defaults, and only change any settings that are absolutely necessary for a standard Windows installation. You could also try removing each PCI card one by one, i.e. sound card, NIC, modem, etc., then try re-running Setup again.

I was helping another forum member out over the phone the other day, who happened to be having a similar problem to yours... and the problem ended up being that he never connected the extra 4-pin power plug from the PSU to the board. So double check all of your connections, reseat your cards and RAM modules, recheck HDD jumper settings, etc.

Last edited:
Checked all connections, tried fail-safe bios, as well as optimized. No luck still getting stuck on the mup.sys. Went ahead and picked a multimeter just in case it the psu.

Checked 5v and 12v, 5 was at 5.25 range however 12v was at 11.65-11.7v, might matter but not sure. I also tried using the the repair console and the commands fixbmr and fixboot(a reboot and trying to start up in regular as well as safe mode was attempted after each command). I yielded no luck getting into windows however their is something else odd that occured after this.

I can boot into windows two diferent ways:
1) After posting bio I can press esc to manually select what to boot from, this case the HD, then boot to safe mode. When this happens the event log comes up scrolls through the files and stops on the mup.sys
2)However, if I press no buttons and allow bios to go through all actions and press f1 to continue, at this point the esc to maunally pick what to boot from is no longer available, the safe mode boot up is a little different. There is a large grey bar at the bottom that scrolls through as it is trying to load all files. After this it goes to a bluish green screen where the window states "Startup is now rebooting" I must then press enter to continue. Now for the change I mentioned, for brief 1-2 secondsa bow with a paragraph of info pops up and states windows is unable to ..... due to insufficent... Sorry I'll try to figure out what the whole message is but it's long and it only stay up for me to get a handfull of words at a time.

Is this till a windows problem or should I try and repost under the general hardware as there might be hardware problems.

Fixed, had to slow the ram down so that it wouldn't corrupt files during the install. :shrug:

Back